THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Trimming 577 BELL Basic brass

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming 577 BELL Basic brass Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend has a supply of BELL .577 basic brass. He wants to trim it to 577 NE 3". It looks about .10" too long. I suggested a hack saw.
Seriously, what's the best way to do this without involving a Machinist?
Thanks everyone.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I size them full length and trim them in a file trim die. Be careful when you size them as it is very easy to crush the thin Bell cylindrical brass. I’ve lost a few.

RC

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
.10" wouldn't bee to hard to take down with a belt sander.
May need to angle the table a slight bit to keep the mouth square as they do have a bit of taper.
If the basic brass is truly cylindrical then that is easier for sure.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you both. The brass has some out of round mouths from handling.
I didn't think of a trim die. I believe his dies are CNH. I'll ask if it has one.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
An easy way might be using a fine flat file.

You don’t need to remove much.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't know how others find using trim dies for large mouth cases but when I made one up to trim some of my 404 cases I found occasionally the file would grab and crush in the side of the case mouth. The 404 cases I have, Parker Hale, Kynoch and RWS all have quite thin brass at the mouth. As new RWS brass is 1mm shorter than standard I wanted to trim the PH and Kynoch to same length to make crimping easier.

I have since made up a 404 spigot for my rotary case trimmer so don't use the trim die any more.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I trimmed my BELL 577 cases with a tubing cutter. Very clean, very easy. I'm a plumber and so cutting brass, copper, etc is second nature.
My cutter is an Imperial Eastman 174F, but any copper cutter will work.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote