THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Which Model 70 is a better buy?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Model 70 is a better buy? Login/Join

<ronl>
posted
Gentlemen

I am purchasing a Win Model 70 as a dangerous game rifle. I would like it to be a .416 Remington. The first hunt will be Africa in 2002 for buffalo and the second hunt will be brown bear in Alaska in 2004. I would like to stocked in wood and also have a fiberglass stock and rustproof the action/barrel to use when I go to Alaska. I have found 3 possible options.

#1-purchase a off the shelf Safari Express and semi-customize it. I have found them for sale at $700.00. I would have the added expense of a fiberglass stock and any gunsmithing that is needed.

#2-purchase a used Safari Express out of the Winchester Custom Shop for $1900.00. It is stocked in wood but comes with an additional Mcmillan fiberglass stock.

#3-Winchester Custom Shop has a special of $1750.00 for a Custom Safari Express in .416 using a stainless steel action and custom barrel. It has the older style wood stock (thinner) rather than the new thicker stock. It comes with iron sights but no barrel band. They tell me that they did the same thing last year and sold them at the SCI convention. I would have to purchase an additional fiberglass stock but it does come in stainless steel.

I do not know the quality of the Winchester Custom Shop rifles. The Custom Shop tells me that their guns shoot quite well and the actions are very slick. I do not know the difference between the quality of this $1750 special versus their usual $2900 custom rifle. Did anyone see this "Special" rifle at the SCI Convention last year

I have never purchased a used rifle and they tell me that this gun has never been fired. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

<Terry P>
posted
I think you would be happier with one of the custom rifles. I remember seeing the stainless at the SCI convention and it was a very nice rifle. The number 2 option would be the less expensive for what you are wanting but the stainless rifle had a very slick action and might be better for Alaska.( I came close to buying this rifle ) You are going to have a bit of money in the rifle with 2 stocks anyway and Winchester's custom rifles are nice. The "used" custom rifle's you mention are a good buy.
Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am totally unimpressed by the Win custom shop.

I would definitely get the stock rifle and customize it. Often custom shop rifles need to be customized anyway.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ron-

Of the options given I'd go with #1. Metal coating and a plastic stock won't cost you too much.

Option 2 is a waste of money if you screw with the bluing. You'll quickly turn a $1900 rifle into a $1200 rifle.

Of the options not given, I'd buy two rifles - one nice rifle for Africa and a beater for coastal Alaska. Given what you'll be spending for your trips and given your consideration of some fairly expensive rifles, I'm guessing that money isn't the primary issue in your decision.

Maybe a Model 70 blue/walnut for Africa, and a Model 70 coated/plastic for Alaska. Both wearing the same scope in Talley QD mounts, that way you'll have a spare scope for both trips. Personally, I'd do the beater in a 338 Win Mag. It's enough gun for the bear and I'd take it along to Africa for plains game. You could have both rifles and Leupolds for under $2500 which is about what you'd have in a Custom Shop rifle by the time you're finished tinkering.

Just a semi-qualified opinion.

Have fun, I wish I were going too.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the one I have for sale, since I have a new 404 Jefferys....this 416 will will beat the socks off any factory rifle...

M0-70 SS, control feed action, All metal poly coated OD Green so no glare, Custom Laminated stock done in English styling with Ebony FE cap, Fisher grip cap, open grip, short forend, egg cheekpiece, barrel band swivel with Talley rear swivel., One standing shallow V island iron sight that is regulated 1" high at 50 yds, glass bedded, Talley QD rings and bases, solid red Silvers pad, rails polished and guarenteed not to jam, highly tested for feed and function..shoots great, been shot 300 times...the kind of gun you can hunt anywhere in the world with and you can bet your life on. I also have tons of ammo and dies, brass etc. some GS solids loaded...I guarentee satisfaction...If interrested give me a call at atkhunt@mindspring.com or 208-326-4120

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
Just curious as to why most everyone thinks that every 10 day Alaskan hunt requires a rife that is stainless steel with a fiberglass stock? I get the feeling that many think that as soon as that jet crosses from Canadian air space into U.S/Alaska air space, your rife starts to rust before the plane even hits the ground! For pete's sake, your not coming up here to start a life long career as a professional bear guide (most of the one's I know, still don't use plastic and stainless anyway). Been hunting in S.E. AK for almost 30 yrs. and have never been in a situation where I would have been better off with plastic and stainless. A cleaning rod, patches, WD 40 or Rem Oil, and a wipe down rag takes up little space in your pack. Remember, much of the Brown Bear hunting in AK, takes place on and around salt water. Even that stainless rifle is going to have to be cared for. If you like the looks of stainless and plastic, I'd say go for it. If you don't, buy what you like and don't worry about it.

<ronl>
posted
I see that the replies are all across the board for what is recomended by each one of you. I knew that this was not going to be an easy decision but I did not think that your opinions would be so varied.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just get a stainless model and forget about it...you only need a wood stock with blued barrel etc if you are old with white hair, wear plus-fours to hunt buffalo and carry a photo of Janet Reno with you wherever you go....and I don't mean Walter.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
DB Bill,

I bet Ray thinks like I do; White is beautiful and "The older the violin, the sweeter the music!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juneau,
I agree 100% but lets pass on Janet Reno, I sent her to the Taliban with a vail. When they jerk that vail off, we will, at that point, win the war, they will go to their caves and never come out again!!! Love it when a plan comes together..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote