THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Question for Steve Redgwell

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Steve Redgwell Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if you've had any experience or knowledge of the .311 Imperial Magnum. I've been to you're site (actually it's on my fav's list) and got interested with the 303 Epps cartirdge, now however, I thought I'd up the anty.

thanks in advance
Curtis

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not Steve Redgwell, however, several years ago I had a 338 Imperial built. The bullets are very similiar in that they are built on a blown out 404 Jeffrey case. The company that designed and built the rifles in this caliber went bankrupt in about 1997 and availability of brass, etc was gone. Since that time I was using my existing brass until the release of the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I am able to run the 300 RUM through my full length sizing dies and reload it. The shoulders on the Imperial is slightly back from the 300 RUM.

I still have some of the old information if I would search for the various Imperial cases but the calibers are basically defunct. Another company came in after Imperial left the scene named something like Canadian Magnum but I received one letter from them and nothing since.

Good luck in you search but the new RUMs are a better choice because of the availability of brass and expense of dies etc.

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info. I'm not unfamiliar with expensive/rare dies and brass, since my two hunting rifles are a 9.3x62mm CZ 550 and 7.65x53 argentine mauser. however, i really didn't realize the case was so big, hence my search for info on it. I'm probably light years from any sort of custom job which would produce a rifle in said caliber, but thanks for letting me know what i'm in for when it and if it does happen.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote