Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ or Ruger Login/Join

<DaleA>
posted
My wife says I can buy myself a new Xmas present and I am in the thinking of another .416 rigby, to go with my Ruger #1 I have now. I have been thinking about the Ruger express rifle or ths CZ 550. I am not concerned about the difference in price as I hear the CZ will need a little smoothing out action wise and I am going to have to find a new stock for it. (I hate that humpback stock that comes with the gun)Can anyone tell me which is the better rifle?I believe the CZ will hold one more cartridge, am I correct?

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Ruger will hold 3 in the mag while CZ on its website claims that it can hold 4 rigby rounds in the mag.

If I were you I'd buy a CZ and use the difference in price to get a really nice looking walnut stock, custom made to fit me.

I am not sure about the delivery status of Rugers, but if you can get one off the shelf, you will have a toy to play with instantly rather than waiting for 3 months to get your rifle delivered from the stockmaker, but you won't have any choice about the stock. It maybe a nice piece of wood or it may not turn out to be the one of your liking. So pick up a CZ, use the difference of $1000 or so to get a very nice stock.
My two cents.
BB

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd opt for the CZ and a nice new piece of wood.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Ruger, integral 1/4 rib, bit more weight in the barrel, and typically they are well stocked, though I'd want to handle one first. Either way you'll have a nice rifle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
ramrod stole my thunder.

I too would vote for CZ and a new walnut stock. Damn I hope CZ comes out with a better stock for us picky Americans!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
CZ without a doubt. The Ruger has that screwy secondary recoil lug extending forward from the receiver lug into the barrel channel. I can't understand Ruger engineering sometimes.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is the better buy.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
As much as I like Rugers, my 416 Rigby is a CZ. I restocked it with a laminated stock and wish I'd sprung for a nice chunk of walnut. My rifle shoots 1" to 1.25" 3 shot groups at 100 yds from the bench with handloads (101 gr RL-22, 400 gr Hornady RN's @ 2400 fps). I've never fired any factory loads so I don't know how they compare. BTW, I fired a total of 3 (three) shots with that humpbacked excuse for a factory stock before I ordered a semi-finished one. The reason I wish I'd gotten a nice piece of wood is because the rifle is about to become a 450 Rigby with the previously mentioned piece of walnut--oh well, it's only money. Pay your money and take your choice! If you can handle one of each, especially if you can have them in your hands one right after the other, then you would probably have an easier time with your decision. Get the one YOU like the most. You will probably LOVE the Rigby cartridge--most do.
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Dale,
I just reread your post--and it is now obvious that you already hold the 416 Rigby in high regard. Someday maybe I'll learn to read more carefully the first time!

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
DaleA,
So your affliction is the 416 Rigby. Me too!

My advice is to simply buy the one you can get your hands on quickest. You can get the other one later and have all three. Like me, if you are as afflicted as I am.

Due to my infatuation I have given my 3 rifles in 416 Rigby female names as follows:

Ruger No. One: Eleanor (after the old Beatles song Eleanor Rigby)

CZ 550 Magnum: Elvira (simply outrageous)

Ruger 77 Magnum: Lady Elaine (my wife's name, love at first sight)

The CZ 550 will hold four in the magazine, but the bolt will close over them only by scratching the brass. You cannot pushfeed a round up the spout unless you get the factory extractor beveled to snap over the rim when the bolt is closed. Thus you are left with a total effective capacity of 4 rounds... you shove 4 rounds into the magazine and close the bolt, CRF-ing that top round off the box and you are ready to go....unless you pillar bed the stock and drop the floor plate a hair to allow the bolt to close easily, and have the extractor beveled... THEN you will have four in the box and one up the spout, for 5 rounds total.

The Ruger 77 Magnum takes three in the box, easily, and one round pushfed up the spout, so then you are ready to go with four rounds. The Ruger extractor comes from the factory already beveled to be either CRF or pushfeed functional.

The CZ takes some gunsmithing (polish the feed ramp and rails, adjust the trigger, bevel the extractor) and a new stock (glass and pillar bedding) to be pleasing and extraordinarily functional. Simply an outrageous bargain for a 416 bolt gun.

The Ruger 77 Magnum is slick as it comes, flawless in function. It just has that crazy recoil plate bedding system on the barrel. No recoil lug on the action. You just got to have faith until the stock splits a 1000 rounds later? It is good until that happens, if it happens. A bigger front sight bead is the only alteration needed if DGR iron sights functionality is desired. A better recoil pad would help the tender shouldered shooter too.

The Ruger No. I is absolutely perfect out of the box.

Now, go rescue that 416 bolt action from solitude, and decide what name you are going to give her. Either one will fill the void nicely.

------------------
DaggaRon
RAB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ MAN!

I despise that little teeny tiny Ruger safety that eludes my thumb. And I have seen some awful wood to metal fit on Ruger lately.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I don't own one but I've had my eye on that 416 Rigby in CZ550 for some time. There are alot of options out there for ya. Several stocks are available, MPI makes a composite, I believe Jim Brockman has some or had some walnut on his web site.

One more Brownell's has had some 550 actions in 416 rigby, buy one and add your own barrel and stock.

ITs Xmas have fun!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What RAB said. We got 3 at the same time. The front sights have been replaced with N.E.C.G sights, the safety brought up to what Ruger should have done, for $50.oo, recoil pads added. The guns were steel bedded in Brownell's 'Steel Bedding' with pillars. Timmney triggers. This was the minimum that each of us have done. You may not want to or feel the need to do even this. We have added our own personal touches/ideas also. All 3 guns shoot one big ragged hole with 300 to 400 gr. bullets. Better accuracy than my .300RUM! My wood is a 'show stopper' but that was the luck of the draw. They all carry nice wood. If Ruger would do the minimum that I've stated and added a dropped magazine, they would have possibly the best all around "Big/DG "factory stock rifle.(IMHO) My other DG rifle is a WIN.70 in .375. It has along way to go to catch up with the Ruger, but I'm working on it. All the best in your search. It's half the fun! You won't go wrong with either.
Regards,
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
BIG SAM,
Sounds like you are in training for a buffalo hunt. May the red god grin upon you too!

------------------
DaggaRon
RAB

<DaleA>
posted
Thanks for everything guys I am off to my dealer for a cz. I am gratefull for all your responses.