New
Find
Notify
Tools

BIG guns... Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
http://www.geocities.com/zbig10inch/
So what do you think a 10" would do to a Buffalo? ;-)

<holtz>
posted
BMG,

I don't know about a buffalo, but I once asked a cute little gal in a bar what she thought 10" would do for her - and I got a strawberry margarita in my face!

Steve

<Don G>
posted
I have a potato cannon with a 1.5 inch barrel. It is powered by hairspray lit with a spark. It is a real kid pleaser at our July 4th picnic.

It shoots an 8 oz chunk of potato at an estimated 400 fps. (No I will NOT measure it with my M35!)

I can launch a potato up at about 45 degree elevation and it takes 14 seconds to hit the ground about 400 yards away.

Precut frozen spuds tend to solve the disintegration isssue. Just thaw the surface for a few seconds in warm water to get a good seal.

Don

<PatrickS>
posted
I also shoot potato cannons, and they are impressive. I've got a pneumatic one with interchangable 1.5" and 2" barrels. The smaller will shoot an unfrozen potato through 3/4" plywood. I also once shot a very unlucky robin with a green apple propelled by 125psi. Nothing but feathers left, and the head shot straight up in the air about 20 ft. Lot's of fun!

Patrick

posted Hide Post
I believe the potato cannons may have originated in the early sixties, when golf ball launchers were all the rage. Not nearly as sophisticated but very impressive. 12 inches of 1.5" galvanized pipe with a threaded cap and 3" of dirt packed in real good. Attached to a board you can drive into the ground or nail to the local dock. Drop in a cherry bomb or an ash can and then a golf ball and stand back!
One day, we missed old Mr. Benson in his rowboat by less than 25' at 1/4 mile. Great day, that was ...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
holtz,
You're lucky you only got doused with her drink. I got laughed at.

------------------
Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is terminal.

<Don G>
posted
Patrick S,

My brother has a pneumatic one, at 200 PSI it is scary!

The kids like this one after dark, you shoot a potato with a lightstick in it -- after the flames quit shooting out the barrel you can see the lightstick for the whole flight.

I've got to admit, I'm the biggest kid!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Better hit that Buffalo on the first shot, or have a good follow thru on the second!

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote