Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silly 450 marlin Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am more than alittle bothered by the 450 Marlin in that we have so many wonderful old cartridges to resurrect. The 450 gains NOTHING on a modern 45-70. Perhaps for a bolt it would be more convenient... but then why not just get an anemic 458 win or the 458X2 barnes. If marlin wanted something unique... how about a 50-90 sharps? That would hold the publics interest. I always thought a ruger #1 in 50-90 would be fun esp... a modern load... say 550-570 grains at 1650.
What are you thoughts?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you consider the .450 Marlin as a souped-up .45/70 for those who don't reload you won't be so excited. Relax and think about the hidden, deep-down reason you like Leupold scopes.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Marlin made a lever action 500 Nitro Express, I would probably buy one.

But in general, cowboy guns are a bit anemic in the power department compared to what can be achieved in a bolt.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I personally don't care for the 450, I see it as a shrewd move on Marlin and Hornadies part. The cowboy action shooting has the strongest growth in the shooting sports. Add to that the fact that most folks don't reload, and don't want to rely on boutique ammo makers, they have a winner. All the gun mags are slobbering about how wonderful a hot loaded 45-70 is, and now Marlin brings out a factory version.

They wouldn't make a ligitimate 450 American because some bonehead would put it in a 7mag, blow it to smithereens, and sue the pants off of Marlin and Hornady. Yes, people really are that stupid.

What I'd really like to see is a factory 50 Alaskan, and their are rumors. I believe buffalo bore will be producing ammo soon, in fact is in the process of testing it. The downside is I believe that the guns will still be custom affairs, but I'd love to see a factory 50.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in a factory Win M71 in 50 Alaskan with a Lyman peep sight and a good pachmyr decelerator pad.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote