Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QR Rings for a Model 70 Login/Join

<Mcbain>
posted
What rings and bases are you guys using for your Model 70's? I have been looking at the Leupolds, but I don't like how they extend over the ejection port.

Jesse

posted Hide Post
Jesse,

I have the Leupold QRs on my M-70 .375H&H, and in 4 years and two dangerous game safaris, I have never had a problem with them holding zero or impeding ejection or loading.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Mcbain>
posted
George,

What scope are you using? What height of rings? I was planning to go with a Leupold 1.5x5 scope with medium rings.

Jesse

posted Hide Post
Jesse,

I use a Leupold V-X III 2.5x-8x in low rings (I generally use a lower ring than Leupold recommends without problems).

The 1.5x-5x is a nice scope, but I like the 36mm objective and higher magnification of the 2.5x-8x.

I shot my Cape buffalo at 20yds. with the scope set at 2.5x and could see everything I needed to see to place the bullet properly.

The .375H&H has a good reputation as a long-range (300yds) cartridge on big (non-dangerous) game. Its trajectory with a 300gr spirepoint bullet is the same as a .30-06 with a 180gr spirepoint.

Leupold also makes a 1.75x-6x32mm scope.

Select whatever works for your type of hunting and expected use.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Mcbain>
posted
Thanks for the help George. For the shooting I am doing I think that the 1.5x5 will be enough. Once the dent in the pocket book for the .416 is smoothed over I will also be getting a .375 H&H Safari Express, and will put a scope with more magnification on it.

Jesse

posted Hide Post
That sounds great, Jesse. I've got two .375H&Hs (the M-70 and a Sako); it's a great cartridge.

My big bore is an M-70 in .470 Capstick. It wears a Burris 2.5x in Kimber/Warne-style lever QD rings.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

<jagtip>
posted
hi fellas...am new to this posting business so will make it short.the leupold Q.R. 2 piece mounts with low rings holding a 2.5 power leupold compact has been working great on a win.70 chambered for 416 rem.hundreds of rounds and several removals and hasn't lost zero yet.

<Bearhunter>
posted
Hello McBain,

I have a M70 (Left Hand) in .375, with a Leupold 1.5x-5x. I use the Talley lever rings with their bases. The bases do not overlap into the ejection port. Depending on the scope used, it may be a close fit, due to the wide spacing.

I like the Talleys' and have been using them for some time on other guns. You might give them a try.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Does anyone have the Talley address or phone number handy? Good stuff!

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<HBH>
posted
Talley Mfg.
Glenrock, WY

You can reach them at (307) 436 - 8724

Very good R&B and great people.

HBH

posted Hide Post
Try www.talleyrings.com

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Thanks, guys!

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Talley groupie, They are the creme de creme of scope rings and bases, but better than that Gary and Dave are stright shooters and you will never have a problem that they will not address and satisfy...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote