New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book Collecting
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have a pretty good collection of books going right now but have very few Amwell Press books. I am 28 so they are a little before my time but I was wondering which ones should I be on the lookout for and which ones are good reads. Also, any suggestions on any of other good hunting book publishers would help too. Currently I have been chasing the Safari Press, Trophy Room Books and some of the Independent published books but I am just trying to expand the collection.

Thanks for the Help

Posts: 19 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I have two that are good reads. "Cry for the Lions" and "Hunting the Southwest".

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Continue to chase the limited editions of Amwell, Safari Press and Trophy Room Books. All should have appreciated greatly in value by they time you reach my age a half century later.

Buy and enjoy independently published books that pique your interest. Some will appreciate, some won't. A lot will depend upon the subject matter and the lasting fame of their authors.

As with all collecting, in addition to relative scarcity, the condition of a book is v-e-r-y important.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Bill,I will also add that 1st edition's;signed, presently add to value as well. I have a collection of 1st edition Hemingway's (none signed);there lies the difference in the fair money + the big money.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posts. I've been at it seriously for 3 years. i have most of the Safari Press African series and a few of their others. I also have some Amwell and other publishers. Trying to get the ones that are out of print can be difficult. Boddingtons Search for the Spiral horn took me 3 years. I've been plugging away and have gotten most of the others. Pre ordering from Safari press for the new ones is the way to go.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

I started buying hunting books regularly in 07 after graduating college and it just kind of developed into what it is. Safari Press was the first publishing company that I found and that is what makes up most of my collection. I also like backordering books that are limited edition to fewer than 500 copies, and so far I have 3 backordered for this fall.

I also was wondering, what are some of the best ways to find out of print books. I was wondering if at the major hunting shows like SCI or DSC if they have out of print books for sale.

Mr. Quimby, I would like to thank you for the work you have done by helping put to those amazing stories onto paper. I have three of the books (Yoshimoto, Alward, and Hanlin) that you have out on and each one I find very informative. I like to use the books as a reference when I hear about someone hunting in an exotic place. I went on my first African trip this year and after reading those stories it really put me at ease knowing that there could be a lot crazy places to travel to.

Thanks for all the Help

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Woodward:

Thank you.

You also may enjoy the four books I wrote for C.J. McElroy, especially his "McElroy Hunts Asia."

The deluxe editions of Hubert Thummler's "Wind in My Face" and my book on Prince Abdorreza ("Royal Quest") are more likely to be of interest to collectors in the years to come, though.

There are few places on this planet that Thummler and the prince did not hunt.

As for finding collectible books, yes, rare book dealers exhibit at the major hunting shows. You also could create a list of books you would like to own and regularly visit a few internet book sites.

Here are three (there are lots of them):

Abebooks.com
Alibris.com
Amazon.com

The AR classified site is another source. I check it daily even though I'm selling and not collecting now.

Happy hunting!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mr Quimby,

All of those books are high on my want list and I have been looking for both Thummler's and Prince Abdorreza's book. From going through the past threads on this forum, "The History of SCI" book that you did looks interesting too.

As far as reading goes what do you suggest are some of the better reads. Currently my favorite book so far has been "Last of the Few" by Sanchez-Arino, and I really liked "Memories of Africa" by Werner Brach a lot too. Currently I am reading "From the Okavango to the Plains of East Africa" by Steve Christenson and it is a really good book.

Thanks for the Help

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
You may like Jan Oelofse's book, "Capture to be Free." His many feats included capturing and training many of the animals used in the John Wayne movie, "Hatari." Jan was a pioneer in Namibia's professional hunting and tourism industry in addition to creating unique methods of capturing African game animals. I didn't write it, Jan's wife Annette did. You can find it by Googling "Jan Oelofse."

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep i collected books for 30 years.Now i am ready to get rid of most of them.Keeping set of Elmer Keith Russell Annabel and a few more rest are going!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drg416,

Any Safari press stuff?

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't tell where you are from. But there is a great used booksore in the Milwaukee Airport -- Renaisance books. The have a lot of good books, reasonbly, and have some first additions behind the counter.

Shop those kind of shops. Shop Shikari's websight, shop estate sales. You will find bargains.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
drg416,

I would be interested in Amwell press or Safari press books. Are you going to ebay them or post them here?

posted Hide Post
I was wondering about Rowland Ward books and was wondering what websites sell their books in the USA. I know Safari Press as some of their books but only a few of the limited ltd. I also was wondering what the shipping cost is if you order from them directly.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of Safari Press Trophy Room books Wolfe and a ton of real first editions not reprints of classic hunting books.I have a ton of robert Ruark books too .I dont have kids and dont have room and travel too much to keep them.Send me an email to dgr416@yahoo.com and i will send you a list.Its six pages long!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to sell them at Safari Shows then went to Alaska on my own adventures for 12 years didnt have time to read like I use to.I have lots of Africa and Alaska hunting books .And classic original first editions.I have a first Edition of OUT OF Africa ,First ed of Jock of The Bush Veld and a ton more,I love to retrace the books I read.I did that a bunch in Alaska!