Notify
Tools

Re: my favorites
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Kensco

Macallan is very good whisky a bit of everything but very overpriced.
If you want another recommendation then try the Glenlivet 18 years.
Very smooth and sweat. Easy to drink.

This is a picture of the bottle Next to it I placed the
Ben Nevis from 1968 the Macallen from 1979 and last but not least the Ardbeg from 1975
As a whisky beginner I would not recommend you to drink any of the Islay malt whisky's They need to grow on you. One Islay that you might enjoy could be the Bowmore Mariner 15 years old.
Ardbeg and Bowmore are among my personal favourites. As you can se I am down to half on most of theese bottles and the Ardbeg is going to be hard to replace. (The 1975 is from the old destillery)

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have fond memories of Margarita. The second time I was there I checked into the Hilton or the Hyatt I believe, then went out for dinner at one of the best Tasca restaurants. Those were the only two times I used my credit card. By the next day they had run up over $6,000 in charges.

We had three credit cards cloned in the last five years we lived there. Venezuelans are for the most part thieves. The women are beautiful, but the average Venezuelan is always trying to figure a way to rip you off. I don't recommend it for tourists.

For Peacock Bass fishing, I highly recommend it.

My years were spent living in Maracaibo and Ciudad Ojeda.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan J�ger and Gentlemen

Here is a picture of some of my favorite books.
The Malts, Rum other spirits are part of the reading.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I just finished "My Serengeti Years" The Menoirs of an African Game Warden, by Myles Turner.
An exellent read and I recomend it

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco

I have been to Venezuela two times, Isla Margarita.
The Rum is very cheep there. everything is!
I like the Havana club 7 and 15 years too But I guess that you will have a hard time finding them in gods own country

Do you drink Scotlands gold too ?

Cheers,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was only impressed with the bottle of Anniversario. I had some last Friday in beautiful downtown Mumbai. Reminded me of better times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Cacique 500, although the Santa Teresa in the blue canister travels better and tastes great. It is expensive for Venezuelan rum. The Aniversario is every expat's initial favorite because of the leather pouch. I used to bring it back by the case and give it to friends. It originally was $7.00 a bottle, then the seller got wise and it jumped to $14 if you wanted it in the pouch. It was still $7.00 in the cardboard box. In the pouch, in Dallas it was $30.

My all time favorite rum was Ron Medellin Super Anejo from Colombia. Hard to find.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got to India to find their Old Monk is equally as good as Venezuelan rum.

I lived in Venezuela for ten years.

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Chivas Regal?! forget that. The sun rises and sets on the Macallan, the older(and therefore, more expensive) the better. Other good distillers of the "wee dram" are:

Lagavulin
Laphroig
Aberfeldy
Oban
Tamdhu
Talisker
Knockando
Bowmore
Inchgower
Glen Grant

Hard to find:
Glen Rothes(almost exclusively used for blending)
Ardbeg(distillery has been closed for sometime)

The last two I know only by reputation, but the way some of conissours try to acquire them, I think speaks highly of their reputation.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
There is an old joke about the more unpronouncable the name, the better it tastes. There all real, some will be harder to find than others. I just found an Etailer that sells glen Rothes, but I fear that Ardbeg is lost to the mists of time. There are probably less than two dozen different kinds of blended whiskey, but they account for more than 80% of the market. here's a list of single malts from the e-tailer that I mentioned to give you an idea of the variety and range in price. Macallan alone goes from about forty bucks to $34K USD!

Toolmaker

[edit> As for the taste, it's definatly an "acquired" one. I "acquired" mine through genetics - Grandma was the proverbial "dear old lady from Aberdeen"(Kilmarnock in actuality)

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scotch whiskey shouldn't be a problem. I'm wired with guys flying in every 28 days from Scotland, and we're working for British Gas. Now if I could just acquire a taste for the stuff. The closest I came was Buchanan 18. The nice thing about it is I'm persistent. I've been sipping for twenty years, and I'm still sipping.

Never heard of the brands you mention. Sure you didn't come up with them out of a Scrabble box?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco

You work with off-shore ? Rig Manager ?

Cheers,

Andr�