Find
Notify
Tools

Bernard Cornwell
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Although Cornwell's works do not deal with hunting or the shooting sports, he is a master of the written word. I have yet to find an author whose work I have found so intriguing.

I just finished his series called The Arthur Books, a three volume work taking place in the historical time of the 4th and early 5th centuries - the time of Arthur. Highly recommended.

His most popular work are the series known as Sharpe's Rifles, 22 books based on the wars and battles from 1799 to 1821 - India, Denmark, the sea battle of Trafalgar, and on into the battle against Napolean at Waterloo. All of these, albeit fiction, are historically based.

Check out his website, find his work, and enjoy.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Cornwell. Being a history buff I've read the Sharpe books over and over again. If you like that kind of thing, you might enjoy Allan Mallinson's stuff. He writes about cavalry, same period and a little later, very good.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I have also been referrred to Patrick O'Brian who wrote Master and Commander.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a true tast of the period try the old Hornblower series. The good and the not so good about life beore the mast in the British Navy during the Napolionic eras. I remember a discription of a grand dinner in the Russain Court with Gold and Silver table settings and servents in silk livery, but when the cuff came up as the waiter served soup, his wrist was dirty and you could see the fleas. Grog, broadsides and floggings, spiced with weavelly hardtack and green water. Sailors pressed into service and young boys as powder monkeys.
As Churchill said, The traditions of the British Navy are Grog, buggery and the lash.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornblower books were my first Napoleanics, practically memorized the whole bunch.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote