Find
Notify
Tools

James Sutherland - How Many Books?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
I recently got a copy of James Sutherlands 1912 Adventures of an Elephant Hunter for a friend of mine who is Sutherlands great nephew.

In the discussion , mention was made of the possibility that Sutherland had written another book as well.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Muzza:

He might have written something else, but quotes such as "his one and only venture into authorship" usually follow mention of his elephant opus in all the biographies that I've read.

What I would have given when I was younger if I could have lived in his time and be blessed with the means to hunt Africa as he was!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

I havent seen anything else by Sutherland either , but thought if there was then someone on here would know about it .

For interest - his great nephew is an accomplished hunter in his own right here in New Zealand , although health issues - he is 67 - prevent him doing much hunting at all now.

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza: if you do discover something else I hope you'll post your findings.Lost volumes are always an exciting treasure.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
For sure. Although I suspect there may well only be the one title.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, I have an abstract

bvolumesthatI might be willing tol talk aboujt.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have frequent abstract moments myself - but you have piqued my curiosity now ....