New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenneth Anderson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although I loved his works in my childhood + took it for gospel as I did Corbett.As I have grown older although I still enjoy the tales,I don't believe Anderson in his exploits in their entirety;I DO believe Jim Corbett. Discussion?

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
First off, great topic!

Corbett's exploits are truly beyond belief. With the exception of W.D.M. Bell, no one has ever claimed to have accomplished anywhere near as many amazing hunting feats. What really make Corbett so impressive is that his claims are verifiable.

Anderson on the other hand is widely believed to have done none of what he claimed. In other words, his books are seen by many as pure fiction. Others claim that there are official records of him having killed 7 of 8 maneaters.

We have at least one or two members who were born in India who seem to know the low-down on Anderson and his background. Hopefully they will weigh-in.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you believe Elmer Keith?

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
All of Jim Corbett's books have been compiled into a 2 volume Omnibus and is easily available in India. the 2 volumes cost about Rs 300 each, which is about US$15 for the pair. Check this http://www.indiaplaza.com/jim-...books/0195627628.htm

Tiger Tops is just one short story.

Kenneth Anderson was not an authentic big game hunter. He wrote about 12 to 14 books claiming that he shot many man eaters, tigers, rogue elephants etc. There are no Government gazette records of any of his major claims. In reality he never shot a tiger or an elephant. His son Donald Anderson is now in his 70's and lives in Bangalore. He is a good friend of my brother's and I spoke to him about a month ago. Don has shot tigers and elephants in the early 60's and may even be the late 50's but no man eaters. I remember Don visiting my dad in 1969 (a Forest / wildlife official then) to get his annual hunting license. Don still gets away into the jungle to watch wildlife. In January he was with my brother when they spotted a tigress at less than 50 meters and it walked away roaring. I have a video clip of this episode on my facebook & do not know how to post it here.

I got hold of PHC's Death in the Long Grass and love it. I have read it a few times and will read it again & again.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
Do you believe Elmer Keith?

Jim
Are you trying to draw us off topic? If so, you picked one of the two authors who are guaranteed to destroy a thread as some people worship him.

Back to the topic: Jim what do you think of Anderson and his claims?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Anderson may have spent too much time smoking his pipe. The phrase"pipe dream" comes to mind.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Brown,(r/e Mr. Yackley's comment on the venerable Mr. Keith).However since I started this post I assume that I have a right of comment.Do I believe Elmer Keith? Yes. For a variety of reasons,starting with the sequence of events concerning that "long range shot W/ a 4"M-29".I admit that I did not believe it when I heard it. Although I did not know Elmer personally ,I did know Bill Jordan. He verified Elmer's claim + that was good enough for me as Bill was an honest man + in those days you could believe what a man of substance said.Also I tried it.(Elmer's feat).By setting the rear sight upon the last point of impact...etc.etc. It works. I must confess that the stopping power of a 4" .44 Mag @ 850 meters would be minimal at best;however in Elmer's case the beast was already wounded + he only ended the chase. But PLEASE,let us get back onto the subject of Mr. Anderson. We can always start a discussion on Elmer Keith.....good point that!

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yackley,

I knew Elmer Keith. I saw him replicate a lot of the shots he mentioned in his books. I also had the pleasure of meeting Bill Jordan at Mr Keith's home on two separate occasions as well as at a Prairie Dog shoot in Zortman, MT, nearly twenty years ago. They were a pair to ride the river with.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..in one of Mr. Anderson's stories, a tiger killed a buffalo and then carried it on his back so as to not leave a drag mark.

Pretty smart tiger I guess. Also must have done a great job of balancing the buffalo on his back! Smiler

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esskay:
Well..in one of Mr. Anderson's stories, a tiger killed a buffalo and then carried it on his back so as to not leave a drag mark.

Pretty smart tiger I guess. Also must have done a great job of balancing the buffalo on his back! Smiler

I don't doubt there is some BS to that story(bull carried on the back), but what about all the stories(by Taylor, Corbett) of cats carrying cows over fences? Some fences are said to have been 3+M.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,believe it.I might add ,just my own personal opinion,that I do believe 100% everything that John Taylor says concerning calibres,ballistics,etc. With Jim Corbett I believe everything he says concerning hunting.