New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commando by Deneys Reitz
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks like it has been made into a film.

Copied from the web:

The Story Begins

In 1903, on the alien and exotic island of Madagascar, between bouts of malaria and tropical cyclones, a young man named Deneys Reitz found himself alone and in exile. With few friends and little comforts, he began to scribble in his journal what would come to be called ‘the greatest tale of war and adventure ever told’. Against impossible odds, he had just survived the Anglo-Boer War, a little known and lesser understood conflict between two tiny Boer (Dutch speaking South African) republics and the British Empire.

For nearly a century, Commando (the name Reitz chose for his journal) has captured the imagination of readers the world over. In many ways, it is a plain, unvarnished tale – wonderful because of, rather than in spite of, its simplicity and realism. Perhaps Gen. Jan Smuts, Reitz’ mentor, lifelong friend and military commander says it best in his introduction to Reitz’ book:

“Wars pass, but the human soul endures; the interest is not so much in the war as in the human experience behind it. This book tells the simple, straightforward story of what the Boer War meant to one participant in it.”

That said, of gripping adventures, there is full measure. The exciting incidents, hair-breadth escapes, dare-devilry and dangers he passed through are literally true, and prove, in an unforgettable way, that fact really is stranger than fiction. This website marks the beginning of the development of the feature film adaptation. Here you will find all the information relating to the vision of the film. If you are a producer who shares our passion for the narrative and the genre, and like us sees the market value in the production, you can get in touch with us here. If you love story, cinema and tales of adventure, we would love for you to follow our journey as we begin what will be a wild and exhilarating adventure of our own as we bring this film to screens the world over. Stay in touch by subscribing to occasional new updates and by connecting with us on the social media links at the bottom of the page.

It looks like it was filmed near the Sundays River where three trees have been planted on a hill in memory of 3 young boers who were executed there per Kitcheners orders for all Boers found in British clothing. ( I was there at the spot! No white access.) This could be a hell of a movie. I will keep you posted. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like they have just made a short film and are looking for investors for a full length movie. The short is filmed in the Drakkensberg and Lesotho Kingdom, I think.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
"Commando: A Boer Journal Of The Boer War", first published in Great Britain in 1929, ISBN 0-571-08778-7

"Trekking On", dealing with the Boer War through World War I, and

"No Outspan", which covers life in South African politics between the wars and concludes with him as Deputy Prime Minister of South Africa.
Also published in one volume:

"The Trilogy of Deneys Reitz", by Deneys Reitz, Wolfe Publishing Co., 1994 (Reprint), ISBN 1-879356-39-2

Makes fascinating reading - a young MAN of 14 years old fighting the British, in exile as he would not take an oath of allegience at the end of the Boer war, exiled to Madagascar, returned home after having almost died of stavation, nursed back to health by Genreal JHan Smuts wife, joined the Allies in fighting against the Germans in WW1, promoted from junior ranks to office almost overnight,.....and so on....what an incredible life!

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I eagerly await its coming io view. I loved Breaker Morant.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
umzingele, Thanks for mentioning those books. They are all about important elements in the making of South Africa. ( How in the world did that boy survive the war!)
Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NormanCoquest, You will love it. You may have to keep reminding yourself that it is all true.

I saw the movie Breaker Morant too. (Was there a book?)
These stories speak volumes about my British ancestors. 25,000 Boer women and children died in the internment camp. (I think that is the number.) And, Kitcheners orders to shoot any Boer kid trying to stay warm in a Britsh coat. Nasty.

The story goes that Morant really did go on that "rule 303" rant in his trial.
I will try and find a copy of his last poem that goes. "We toss a bumber down our throats as we face crucifiction" (or something like that) and post it. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here itBUTCHERED TO MAKE A DUTCHMAN'S HOLIDAY by Harry ("Breaker") Morant

In prison cell I sadly sit,
A d__d crest-fallen chappie!
And own to you I feel a bit-
A little bit - unhappy!

It really ain't the place nor time
To reel off rhyming diction -
But yet we'll write a final rhyme
Whilst waiting cru-ci-fixion!

No matter what "end" they decide -
Quick-lime or "b'iling ile," sir?
We'll do our best when crucified
To finish off in style, sir!

But we bequeath a parting tip
For sound advice of such men,
Who come across in transport ship
To polish off the Dutchmen!

If you encounter any Boers
You really must not loot 'em!
And if you wish to leave these shores,
For pity's sake, DON'T SHOOT 'EM!!

And if you'd earn a D.S.O.,
Why every British sinner
Should know the proper way to go
Is: "ASK THE BOER TO DINNER!"

Let's toss a bumper down our throat, -
Before we pass to Heaven,
And toast: "The trim-set petticoat
We leave behind in Devon."

At its end the manuscript is described -
The Last Rhyme and Testament of Tony Lumpkin -
First published in The Bulletin, 19 April 1902.

is:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS, I should explain:

Morant, an Australian who joined the British unit, The Bushveld Carbineers, was about to be executed for shooting Boer prisoners found wearing British kit. This execution was part of the treaty that would end the second Anglo Boer war. Morant apparently wrote this poem the day before he faced the firing squad. Also, he may have had a lady friend in Devon, England, hence the last line in the poem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to get this book. There is a good chance the stuff he was hauling in Madagascar was for my great great grandfather.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta, In the posts above I mentioned two different book. I assume that you are talking Commando.

That would be pretty cool to find out if your great grandfather had know Dennys Reitz.
While Commando is a must read I don't think it contains much info about Reitz in Madagascar.

Above, Unzingele refers to the books, No Outspan and Trekking On. As I remember, there is a bit about Reitz in Madagascar in one of them.

It would be fun to research. The Denneys Reitz Law Firm, which is now a big enterprise will probably be able to tell you where to look. I have found South Africans to be very helpful that way. I would write/email them. Also, I'll bet that there is a historical group or a tourist association in Madagascar that you could write. Cheers, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Beretta, In the posts above I mentioned two different book. I assume that you are talking Commando.

That would be pretty cool to find out if your great grandfather had know Dennys Reitz.
While Commando is a must read I don't think it contains much info about Reitz in Madagascar.

Above, Unzingele refers to the books, No Outspan and Trekking On. As I remember, there is a bit about Reitz in Madagascar in one of them.

It would be fun to research. The Denneys Reitz Law Firm, which is now a big enterprise will probably be able to tell you where to look. I have found South Africans to be very helpful that way. I would write/email them. Also, I'll bet that there is a historical group or a tourist association in Madagascar that you could write. Cheers, Brian

My great great granddad owned everything from Toliara to the tip of the island. Lots and lots of land and was one of the biggest trading houses. Lost it all in World War I and issues with the natives.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that to be really interesting. Thanks for telling me. Did he write about it at all. Have you ever gotten over to Madagascar?
Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I find that to be really interesting. Thanks for telling me. Did he write about it at all. Have you ever gotten over to Madagascar?
Brian

There is a family history somewhere - I need to get it from my Dad.

He did what rich people did at turn of 20th century. He had a large stamp collection - terrible choice as stamps don't survive as well as coins.

Never been to Madagascar. My grandad went to east Africa in 1930s and got very homesick and did not like it. He had a negative view on Africa and no desire to go to Madagascar which he left as a 5 year alone sent of to live with family in India in 1918.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, Thanks, Brian

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
The law firm was sold a couple a couple of years ago and the name is no longer used....his grandsons farm in KZN

My Grandmother lived together with my Great Grandmother in a British concentration camp as a young girl, and went on to marry a Scotsman that was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal, for the defence of Grahamstown. I have this in my possession. South Africa....always full of complex stories.

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
umzingele, That is fascinating to me. Thanks for the post.

Can you tell me what umzingele means, if it is not private? Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my wife and I drove to Kitcheners Internment Camp Memorial Musium in Bloemfoentein. It turned out to be closed for renovations. TIA. All we saw was this awesome statue of a Boer mounting his horse to go fight. His distraught wife stood anxoiusly by his horse. The scene was really staggering. We had just spent a week touring battle fields and were a little thin and were quietly relieved that the internment museum was closed. 25-27,000 women and children died in that camp. Good old Victoria. And, Kitchener was a piece of work too.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,
Umzingele - Zulu word for Hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Umzingele - Zulu word for Hunter.

Cool. Thanks. Brian