Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Chapman Andrews
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Do either of his autobiographies ("Under a Lucky Star," and "An Explorer Comes Home")include much about his hunting experiences? I understand Andrews was a huge fan of the Savage 99 in .250-3000.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Ends of the Earth" and am currently reading "Across Mongolian Plains" by RCA. "Ends of the Earth" doesn't mention much on the firearms he used in his collections for museums, except for the Mongolian part. "Across Mongolian Plains" he does a lot of shooting, especially on Demoiselle and Goitered Gazelles. Appears he used the 6.5 for most of the shooting. As I finish the book, I'll have a complete report.

The guy was certainly an adventurer. Him, James Clark, Carl Ackeley and the Roosevelt brothers certainly were born of wonderlust.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Him, James Clark, Carl Ackeley and the Roosevelt brothers certainly were born of wonderlust."

So were a lot of us. Unfortunately, museums and patrons with fat wallets aren't sending many people on collecting trips any more.

Wouldn't it be great to be fabulously wealthy and unemployed as Jay Mellon was in his wandering days?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I've often wondered why I wasn't born rich instead of so good-looking! Big Grin

Seriously though, RCA and Mellon retired their rifles after so much collection, didn't they? RCA mentions in "Ends of the Earth" that he just didn't have the stomach for killing anymore after taking a few thousand animals for museums and scientific study. I think Mellon mentioned he felt shot-out as well.

Would be a real shame to grow tired of something I love so much as hunting. Not just the killing, but the whole environment of the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I don't know about RCA, but I do know about Mellon. I spent a few minutes talking with him at the Safari Press booth while Prince Abdorreza and I were autographing my book "Royal Quest" in Reno and he implied that he simply wasn't interested in hunting anythng anymore.

He did seem to enjoy talking with hunters, though.

It could be that he simply ran out of animals to hunt and challenges to face. Because of their status and the contacts they had, he and Abdorreza collected beasts that no other modern-day hunter could dream of hunting ... such as the walia ibex of Africa, a whole bunch of rare Asian creatures, and the tarucas and pudus of South America.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I would have surely liked to have been a fly on the wall while Prince Abdorreza told you his story. Many of the more well known hunters, whether royalty or those of priviledge, knew a world and hunts of rare animals that none will likely know again.

Bill/Oregon,
I just finished "Across Mongolian Plains" by Roy Chapman Andrews. A few months ago I read "Ends of the Earth" by RAC. In those books, the only firearm he relates by name or chambering (other than the whale boat guns) was his 6.5mm Mannlicher. That is the rifle he used in China and Mongolia for argali, goral, roe deer, wapiti (maral?), wild hogs, etc...

Both books are interesting reads. Like many of the explorers, he was a bit of a self promotionist, but one that lived a full life. I would recommend either of the two books. "Ends of the Earth" is more about his career with the American Museum of Natural History and the places it took him. He comments a bit on the hunts, but more exploration than hunting. "Across Mongolian Plains" was geared more toward hunting. Of the two, I prefer the latter, though both will continue to have a place in my library. I'm trying to find a copy of his "On the Trail of Ancient Man" about his exploration into Mongolia searching for "The Missing Link" or evidence of pre-historic man. He hints in the two I have read, that he did a bit of hunting and dodged armies in that book as well. I've seen several copies of both the books I have for sale on eBay recently for reasonable prices. Condition is typically fair to good minus, but should be well enough to read.

If you have any specific questions from either book's text, I'll try to dig that up for you.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Bill, I would have surely liked to have been a fly on the wall while Prince Abdorreza told you his story. Many of the more well known hunters, whether royalty or those of priviledge, knew a world and hunts of rare animals that none will likely know again."

DPhillips:

I have been privileged to have worked on the memoirs and biographies of some very experienced hunters -- C.J. McElroy, Watson Yoshimoto, Arnold Alward, Prince Abdorreza, Hubert Thummler, Soudi Golabchi, and David Hanlin. All except Golabchi were Weatherby Award winners, but his hunting (especially of mountain game) ranks right up there with the rest of them. I only wish I could have done 10 percent of the hunting these men did.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Bill, I think I've helped finance your life from purchasing those books!

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Well, Bill, I think I've hellped finance your life from purchasing these books!"

DPhillips:

Thank you, but I can only wish that it were so. I work under contract and get paid everything I'm going to get even before the books go to press.

I generally make more money and don't have to wait several years for a book to sell out to get the maximum amount as I would if I were paid royalties.

On the other hand, I don't get a penny more if my books go into second and third printings, which I'm sure the Abdorreza book will. This would be rare with limited edition hunting memoirs of this sort, however.

I hope you enjoy them.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bill, did you know that RCA lived in Tucson in his later years? Off Grant Road, in the area of TMC. If my memory serves me correctly I met him once through some acquaintances back in my college days that owned the Bellota Ranch in the Rincons. Do I ever regret not havging the presence of mind to acquire his books then and have him sign them for me.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Bill, did you know that RCA lived in Tucson in his later years? Off Grant Road, in the area of TMC. If my memory serves me correctly I met him once through some acquaintances back in my college days that owned the Bellota Ranch in the Rincons. Do I ever regret not havging the presence of mind to acquire his books then and have him sign them for me."

Wow! I didn't know that. I would have loved to just shake his hand. I had dinner one evening at the Bellota many years ago. I've forgotten the name of the owner, but one of his younger friends was involved in retriever training, and I photographed his Labs jumping into the ponds there for a newspaper article about retriever training. I remember the owner saying his grandson was the actor who later played Superman before being paralyzed (damned this Old People's Disease, I 've forgotten his name). At any rate, the Bellota ranch house was something else. I was especially impressed with the copper ceiling in the dining room.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bill Q. The owner was Richard Reeve. He was very active in the retreiver world and I remember grand times with he and his wife, and times out on the ranch training. After they sold the ranch they moved to a place in Tubac.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote