New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heat Thirst and Ivory
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any thoughts on the book Heat Thirst and Ivory by Fred Everett? I am thinking about buying it, but would like anyones imput who might of read it.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of afternoons over lunches several years apart in South Africa with Fred, and enjoyed his book. He was the real thing and so are his stories.

Among my many memorable memories was watching Fred try to teach my then-22-year-old granddaughter how to make the clicking sounds of the San Bushmen peoples he had grown up with.

My granddaughter fancies herself as a student of languages (she speaks Spanish fluently, along with some Italian and Portuguese, in addition to English) but -- to the amusement of everyone there -- couldn't make a proper click no matter how much she tried.

Our hostess that day is a true linguist and a professional interpreter of many languages, including several Bantu dialects, but I noticed that she didn't attempt to speak Bushman with Fred.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I speak English and Brooklyn..... sofa

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I spent a couple of afternoons over lunches several years apart in South Africa with Fred, and enjoyed his book. He was the real thing and so are his stories.

Among my many memorable memories was watching Fred try to teach my then-22-year-old granddaughter how to make the clicking sounds of the San Bushmen peoples he had grown up with.

My granddaughter fancies herself as a student of languages (she speaks Spanish fluently, along with some Italian and Portuguese, in addition to English) but -- to the amusement of everyone there -- couldn't make a proper click no matter how much she tried.

Our hostess that day is a true linguist and a professional interpreter of many languages, including several Bantu dialects, but I noticed that she didn't attempt to speak Bushman with Fred.

Bill Quimby

Thanks Bill, that all I needed to hear.

PM Sent

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I speak English and Brooklyn..... sofa

True, William, but I know you well enough to know that you also speak Spanlish with an Argentine/Brooklynese/northern Mexican accent.

That makes you multilingual.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently obtained a copy from billquimby (Thanks Bill). I have only just started reading it. So far so good I realy like it.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the imput.Ordered it today!

Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best African book I've read since "Months of the Sun."

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a very good book.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote