Find
Notify
Tools

The Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I was recently given a gift of this magazine. Apparently it was the only issue printed. It has wonderful articles about custom rifes. It's too bad it never became a reality. I'm glad to add this to my library, but wonder what would hsve been. If you get a chance to obtain one do so.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and those of us who paid the full subscription price got screwed!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Sounds all too familiar 22WRF. I wonder what happened? It looked like a first rate magazine, not just one of the "I did this" pieces of paper that passes off as a magazine you see now.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Custom..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Should anyone be looking for a copy. I have one and found this one online!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met the principals at the SHOT Show, and it seemed like a real recipe for success. Quality book, quality contents, and a solid business plan.
I picked up two copies and about read one to death the next month. Then, nada. Never heard why.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I never saw the magazine, but the No. 1 reason that publications fail has nothing to do with editorial and publishing quality, or even business plans.

It's a lack of sufficient advertising to provide a profit after costs of publication and distribution.

The title sounds as if it would have a limited circulation, and a substantial circulation is needed to sell ads.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the cost of a high risk subscription put anyone in the poor house. This happens a lot and Bill states the very reason. Look at some of the great old mags in the US. It took a great deal of advertising selling to get them resurrected - Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and most of all Sports Afield.

BTW - I do not subscribe to mags that sell "sexual enhancement" products in the ads. Just me, but I think it is tasteless and crass.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

BTW - I do not subscribe to mags that sell "sexual enhancement" products in the ads. Just me, but I think it is tasteless and crass.

I'm no prude, but those ads bother me also. They have their place, but it is not in a sporting magazine.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
dogcat, I don't either. I get a complimentary subscription to "Predator Extreme" magazine. A few months ago an ad of questionable nature showed up in it. I sent an e-mail to the publisher complaining about it. He immediately replied and pulled the ad. You can make a difference.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
remember when Janet Jackson's boob slipped out during the Super Bowl? That didn't bother me nearly as much as having to explain to my son what ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION is. Seems to be in the same category as feminine products and adult diapers, if you need it, you will find it

Has anyone been able to contact the editor of this mag? Maybe they could justify quarterly publishing.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote