THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I am now reading Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer by Tim Jeal. I haven't read any other books specifically dealing with Henry Morton Stanley, but I can say that this biography is excellent and will probably change whatever opinion of Stanley you may have. The descriptions and detail about how an expedition was conducted in the last half of 19th century are excellent.

When reading the chapters dealing with the expedition to find Emin Pasha, going through the then unexplored Ituri Forest, one can understand what motiviated Joseph Conrad to write The Heart of Darkness.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I read this book while traveling in Zambia this summer. I was not interested in H.M. Stanley, and only picked up the book because it was thick and I had been tearing through Wilbur Smith at a rate of one every two or three days.

I have to say the book was a real eye-opener. I was impressed with what Stanley was able to do on pluck alone. But was really impressed me was the job Tim Jeal did in researching and writing this book. It was a very good read.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote