Find
Notify
Tools

Ereaders, I love 'em
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted
My daughter gave me a Kindle Paperwhite reader for Christmas, and I love it! I downloaded John Grisham's newest book for $10 and The Last of the Mohicans for $1, and read both of them in three days.

(Wish I hadn't wasted the time on Grisham, but I kept hoping it would go somewhere. James F. Cooper's book was the first book I read as a 7-year-old with my first library card, and reading it after all these years was less of a disappointment, but still a disappointment.)

Nonetheless, as someone who loves holding a well-designed, beautifully bound book in his hands, I sadly must report that ereaders are here to stay and someday will make hard-bound books obsolete.

I am an old guy with macular degeneration and cataracts, and I cannot describe the joy of cranking the type up to 24 point and reading for pure enjoyment without glasses and good light once again.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have had several generations of Kindles and the Paperwhite is great. Having the backlight makes a huge difference, for example, on an airplane at night. Amazon is also developing quite an extensive library of African hunting books too. For example, you can get Months of the Sun, African Dangerous Game Cartridges, Baron in Africa, and many others on Kindle now.

[P.S. Empire of the Summer Moon was a Kindle book that as I posted separately is very good.]

Mike

Posts: 21360 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
[P.S. Empire of the Summer Moon was a Kindle book that as I posted separately is very good.]

Thanks, Mike. I have hard copies of all of the books you listed, except Empire of the Summer Moon. I look forward to reading it on my Kindle while I still can.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I got the Paperwhite with CC points. Had a Sony ereader that was crap. The Kindle is very good so far. I have over 400 books on Calibre on the PC, mostly older novels. Loading them was easy but adding to a collection is a bit slow.

Been going through the Reacher books.

Lee Child
Mike Connelly
Stuart Wood
Vince Flynn
J Kellerman
J Evanovich
L Block

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote