Find
Notify
Tools

Peter Flack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
"Heart Of An African Hunter" was my Christmas gift. My only problem with it is -- it "eats" like a box of designer chocolates, to a chocolate lover that is. I can't stand to read more than one story at a time, but can't wait for the next one. What a treasure!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, it's a good read huh..

Here's his entire collection:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...ter-flack-books.html

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
What a treasure!

I had the opposite opinion of the book. I guess I was too turned off with Flack's "drive" to get "top trophies".

My reasons for hunting is just much different than his, and due to this I was never able to get drawn in by his stories.

After reading his book I was shocked to learn that he does not enter his trophies into the record books. I could hardly believe it.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
What a treasure!

After reading his book I was shocked to learn that he does not enter his trophies into the record books. I could hardly believe it.

Did he say in this book that he doesn't enter any record book at all? I had heard that he was one of the investors in Rowland Ward publishing.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bill

His book gave me the impression that he entered all his stuff in the books. He seemed to always be stating, "this ____ was number ____ in the SCI records." It turned me off because he seemed to be hunting for the score.

I later read elsewhere that he does not enter his trophies in the "book".

Maybe he does not enter his trophies in SCI's book, but does enter them in RW.

Bottom line: I misunderstood something in his book regarding his use of record books. Maybe he uses them to compare his trophies, but stops short of entering them????

He did seem to put a heavy emphasis on his rhino being "#__" in the record book.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Bill

His book gave me the impression that he entered all his stuff in the books. He seemed to always be stating, "this ____ was number ____ in the SCI records." It turned me off because he seemed to be hunting for the score.

I later read elsewhere that he does not enter his trophies in the "book".

Maybe he does not enter his trophies in SCI's book, but does enter them in RW.

Bottom line: I misunderstood something in his book regarding his use of record books. Maybe he uses them to compare his trophies, but stops short of entering them????

He did seem to put a heavy emphasis on his rhino being "#__" in the record book.

It could be because SCI does not allow Rowland Ward to exhibit at its conventions. I have no idea why.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
competition...?

But, yes, he does seem preoccupied with measurements on everything he shoots.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JBrown:

It could be because SCI does not allow Rowland Ward to exhibit at its conventions. I have no idea why.

Bill Quimby

I never understood why they were excluded ...I used to enjoy visiting them at their booth at the show. Good folks, excellent record book and
good stuff for sale.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
He has now had all his trophies that qualified, measured by a Rowland Ward Measurer, that is within the last couple of years. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote