New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Game Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've enjoyed Boddington's Big Game Argentina enough that I decided to buy the dvd of the same name. Turns out it is no longer available on his site. Anyone know of another source for the dvd? Anyone seen it and thins it is worth the effort to track down?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The book is terrific but I did not know there was also a DVD.....I went to his site and none is shown.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A DVD was part of the project. I contacted the "Boddington Empire" via their website last week. This week I recieved a response that made me smile. Mrs. Boddington replied that she thinks she might be able to find a copy of the DVD when she gets back from her latest trip. I gather that the DVD is no longer available in commercial quantities. Presumably that is why it's no longer on the website. Don't know why I was surprised that the Boddingtons run a family business or why my wife and I enjoyed a 2 line e-mail so much.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A copy of the dvd should be in the mail as I type this. I spoke with Mrs. Boddington this morning and she recommended that anyone looking for a title that can't be found on their website contact them directly.

Dean

-Edward, Duke of York

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Funny, I bought the DVD from Argentina from the producer.

With freight to the FPO it was $50.

It was good, but not great.

He does hunt a huge swath of Argentina.

I don't know much about the financing of this hunt.

I really felt like he was given free hunts by several Argentina ranches and a Argentine production company followed him around and made a DVD out of it. Structure was really weird.

Guy is damn lucky to be in the place he is in.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll have to find the book. Was not aware of it. Is this among the best literature on hunting in "Pozziland"?
Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA,

I would consider that more a combination of intelligence, common sense, and hard work that brought Craig to the position of prominence he currently enjoys. One does not rise to the rank of full Bird Colonel in the United States Marine Corps by luck.

Or, to the recognition by most; as the most noted African hunter of our generation.

I have had some small successes writing for a number of shooting focused publications. Being able to communicate the sense of "being there" with an audience is a difficult task.

I am not being critical, but just take a look at TAA since they parted ways with Craig. The chemistry is so hard to make work.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I don't begrudge Craig for anything.

I remember the first article I ever read by him, also happened to be the first hunting magazine I had ever seen in my life. It was a 1980's Peterson's Hunting, where he went on a moose hunt introducing the 416 Remington Magnum.

We got Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, but lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't get to town much. I didn't usually get to go shopping in town with my parents very often, and this trip was special because I was allowed to get a "book" from the magazine rack. I didn't even know such a thing existed as a hunting magazine, only seen the combo hunt/fish ones. I think I was 10 or 11 at the time.

I have enjoyed most of Craig's books, thoroughly enjoyed meeting him, and what was really interesting is we didn't talk much about hunting we talked about Afghanistan and Somalia. Since that is where I have spent the lions share of my military career.

He is the first person I heard say how lucky he felt to be doing what he is. If I was in his shoes I would have to feel the same way.

As for making O-6, 30-35% of all O-1s that come in through the academy or ROTC make Colonel ( or Captain Navy and USCG). I think he is a smart guy, I know lots of O-6's in a lifetime in the military, some are brilliant some are "different" by military terms.

At the end of the day, he's a really nice guy, who has got to live an amazing life because he was smart enough and a good enough writer to make you want to read what he writes.

Like I said I wish him well, and don't begrudge him anything.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is the first person I heard say how lucky he felt to be doing what he is. If I was in his shoes I would have to feel the same way.

It is his academic training, considerable talent and hard work -- and not mere luck -- that sets Craig apart from his peers.

I doubt that even Craig knows how many hundreds of thousands of words he sells each year, but no wrter produces as much as he does without spending a great many hours at a keyboard.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote