New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Favorite Writers in order
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are my favorite Writers of all time both living and gone to happy hunting grounds.
1 Favorite gunwriter of past and present Elmer Keith
2 Favorite Living gun Writer Craig Boddington
3 Favorite Alaska Hunting Writer Russell Annabel
4 Favorite African Writer Robert Ruark
5 Favorite exciting African Writer with some extra thrown in Peter Capstick
6 Author whos books made me buy bird dogs again Robert Ruark
7 Author who made me finally go to Alaska Russell Annabel
8 My least favorite hunting author of all time Jack Oconner

I have some of my Extra books for sale in classifieds

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to switch your number 8 and 1 in my case!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its funny I can hardly give away Jack Oconner books.I sawq the traveling Oconner Show and the guy that knew him said Oconner was an ass most of the time and very unfriendly most of the time.Thats coming fromthe show that was telling about Oconners life.You should read gunnotes by Keith it has letters that they wrote back and forth to each other.The Keith and Oconner fight sstarted when Oconner peppered a bunch of writers including Keith at a Winchester duck shoot .He was shooting at a blackbird to seew where his shotgun shot .I have a bunch of Oconner for sale if you want some.I have the last copy of Sheep and Sheep Hunting for sale.I guess if I dont sell the others I can see how many Oconner books it takes to stop a 338 bullet.I find Oconner books dry and boring with alot of repeat info.Tell me if you want some Oconner books before I take them target shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, actually, I think I have the complete collection of O'Connor. But, what do you have and what do you want for them?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Sheep and Sheep Hunting new in the wrapper $125,His Shotguns books like new $40,The Gun Book $30 ,The Hunting Rifle $35-50 I have a bunch of copies of it ,Hunting North American Game $40,I have a few more outdoor life books of his also.I have never sold any of his books besides Sheep and Sheep hunting .I quit buying them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first two favs are the same as yours... Your least fav is also mine, so we have alot in common probably. Capstick is great also.

I've read Elmer's "Gun Notes" more times than I can say. The books are both like reference works and I've got notations and markings all throughout them like college textbooks. They show lots of wear and use and when they're falling apart I'll get another set! Sixguns is also classic reading as is Hell I Was There.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever read Keiths Rifles For Large Game?I had an original edition sold it but will get another.I am working on a full set of his books signed.I have 4 copies of his Safari Book three are signed .His words are as true as can be.I even deer hunt with 338 win mag.My Alaska brush rifle is a light weight 416 rem mag.I grew up reading gun notes in Guns And Ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DGR416...

Would you be interested in selling one of the Safari copies???

I've been dying to get a copy - never even seen one!

Yes, he's always been my #1 hero when it comes to gun writers - he was simply a classic. To have even a fraction of his knowledge would be wonderful. The man was amazing!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the Elmer Keith books I have, three are signed and I have the original "Keith," which was then reworked into "Hell, I was there". Been a favorite of mine since the 70s when I started reading his articles.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith was too far ahead of his time.The .338 bore he loved has finally come into being the almost as popular as the .308 bore .He made scope range finders in the 1940s .He invented the 41 mag,44 mag helped invent the Winchester Model 70,Ruger Blackhawk,Ruger #1 ,the Keith Stlye Bullet .He was a great hunter and awesome writer.I wish they had done something on his 100 th birthday .I will reread his books forever.I have not read Safari or Sixguns yet but have read all his others many times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Keith style SWC hardcast bullets are superb, though most of the ones on the market now are modified, for easier casting I assume, with rounded lube grooves instead of the original square design, allowing for more lube. I think the front driving band has been reduced in width too. They will penetrate to unbelieveable distances and cause a lot of tissue damage, and not as dependent of velocity as jacketed types. It is interesting in "Safari" that he made a few changes with a pen, where the publisher had used incorrect names of PHs. I got this book from Elmer directly, so Ill assume he did it, as well as, autographed it for me. He was certainly a fan of the 338, used one a lot, and probably was the impetus for its success. He knew what worked and what didnt. Too bad his museum never got off the ground. I think because they planned after his death was more than could be funded--I surmise. Ive heard that his wife's name on their cemetary headstone is misspelled but dont know for sure. His name was to be left on the masthead of G&A magazine but was shortly removed after his passing--that is really sad.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep three of 4 of the Safari copies I have are edited by Elmer.I wish something would still be done for rembering Elmer.I would love to see a pistol and Rifle caliber named after him.I wish Keiths Rifles for Large Game would be reprinted.Its told that John Taylor wrote African Rifles and Cartridges based on it.I was going to buy some targets that Elmer shot and signed a few years back $100 each.I am trying to find guys #.I have friends who went to Elmers house .They said he was super nice and also signed their books and went shooting with them.I wish I could have met him.

One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I would add a category to include Jim Corbett in there somewhere. I like Capstick a lot also.

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree that Jim Corbett should be on any decent sized list of writers, even if a category must be designed with him in mind.

Posts: 38 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best India Tiger Hunting Adventures Jim Corbett .I have all his books too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a signed copy of "Keith: an autobiography" in like-new condition signed dated "May 24, 1977 Salmon, Idaho"...

Can't wait! This will be my first signed book of Elmer's, so I'm like a little kid at Christmas in anticipation of it's arrival...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 7 out of 10 signed of Elmer Keiths Books.I wish someone would reprint his old articles from the 1930s to 1970s.It would be a good seller I bet.The Gun Notes I and II in hard back sold out quick.I still have a bunch of Keith books for sale.I just wish I had met him.I am going through Salmon Idaho in Two weeks to see where he lived.I hope to find his grave site also.His house was for sale on the internet about two years back.That would have been awesome to have.He was way ahead of his time.I just reread his shotguns book its awesome mostly about double barrels he loves and shooting.