Find
Notify
Tools

Want to accomplish an impossible task?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Well, this may be it!! In the early 1960's, the Outdoor Life Book Club sold a book of the month selection on deer hunting. Yeh, I know, they had lots of those. But this one MIGHT be identifiable.

At the beginning of each chapter was a hand-drawn line-sketch displaying some aspect of hunting technique discussed in that chapter.

The book was small, about 5"x7" format, hard bound, and maybe 170 or so pages. The covers, IF I recall correctly were either yellow or tan, most likely tan.

The whole book is detailed info on "how" to stalk deer, think like a deer, and actually do the "do" of hunting deer. And, unlike the generic B.S. of most "hunting books " of today, the information it it really worked!!

I tested the chapter on how to find deer by going out and locating a cover area on a hillside almost exactly like described in the book. I sat where the book indicated I should, and waited like it said I should. Sure enough, within 1/2 hour a deer fed out into view, and I shot it. Then I tested the portion on locating deer by using topo maps...used that info on my first moose hunt, and drove right to my first moose, literally standing in the truck trail within 200 yards of where the book info said such an animal would likely be!!

Fast forward- After 20+ years of using that book as a refresher course from time to time, and to answer problems I encountered in reading deer terrain, I made a mistake. I loaned it to my very best friend in the early 80's. I wrote down who I loaned it to, as I was reluctant to let it out of my sight or possession.

You guessed it...the book never came home and my friend denies having ever borrowed it.

Worse yet, I cannot for the life of me remember the title of the book or the author.

So, if you will, please try to help out. If you are familiar with, or ever see, a book of that description, would you please PM me with the title and/or author of it. I will check from there to see if it really is the book I am seeking. Some reward will come to you straightaway (from me) if you help me successfully identify this treasured tome.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Go to www.Abebooks.com (they are out of Vancouver) and work up a search for it.

Another place www.usedbooksearch.co.uk

If you luck, go to www.trophyroombooks.com and they may be able to help.

This is an entire sub-culture out there of folks that are addicted to hunting books. They number in the dozens.

Try Google as well and be persistant.

It is out there and it will be cheap...

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Canuck,
Go to www.Abebooks.com (they are out of Vancouver) and work up a search for it.

Another place www.usedbooksearch.co.uk

If you luck, go to www.trophyroombooks.com and they may be able to help.

This is an entire sub-culture out there of folks that are addicted to hunting books. They number in the dozens.

Try Google as well and be persistant.

It is out there and it will be cheap...

Already tried that months ago. Problem is that with neither an author's name or a title, there is no basis for their search engines to search.

Basically I need a way to stumble onto someone who cues off of the topic and the "sketches" located at the start of each chapter, and says...."Hey, I've got one of those..." and mails me the name of the book or the author. From there it will all go easily.

Thanks for the response, though.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe try calling the folks at Trophy Room, they are very helpful.

space

Free 500grains !!!

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Could this possibly be Russel Tinsley's Hunting the Whitetail? Outdoor Life published this from about 1960 until the mid 70s.

Ray Riling Arms books has a listing of many OL books including this one.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
Could this possibly be Russel Tinsley's Hunting the Whitetail? Outdoor Life published this from about 1960 until the mid 70s.

Ray Riling Arms books has a listing of many OL books including this one.

The name doesn't ring a bell, but anything is possible. I'll check that out as soon as I get the opportunity (next few days). Appreciate the tip. Hope it is the one I'm looking for. Best wishes,
AC

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
The Deer Hunters Guide by Francis Sell perhaps, published 1964 by Stackpole books and sold via Outdoor Life book club. 5 x7 yellow and brown jacket 192 pages long. I think this is the book you are looking for, Francis Sell lived in a home made cabin in the Oregon woods,

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Abe's showing 12 copies for sale right now, r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote