New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chui vs Into The Thorns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to solicit some opinions from AR members about which book is better for understanding leopard hunting. "Chui" by Hallamore or "Into the Thorns" by Grant?

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have not read either of these,however you might enjoy "Tigrero" by Sasha Seimal. Spear hunting the jaguar in central America.They do have it on Amazon.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
I have not read "Into the Thorns" but have hunted with Lou Hallamore and have his book "In the Salt" as well as "Chui". Chui is a great book written from his personal experience. It is more of an informational read opposed to stories. Hope this helps.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have read both, like both, but I think INTO THE THORN is better book.

Hallamore tends to go into a tangent sometimes - look at his PAYLINE and you will see what I mean.

In fact, that PAYLINE is nothing but a load of bloody bullshit.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67072 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Chui" is Hallimore telling his personal way of hunting spots. I think it is the same methods taught to other Zim PHs although every good Cat-man has his own tricks.

"Into the Thorns" goes into more detail on leopard diet, range, size, how they went about patterning leopard movement, the politics of cat hunting and a lot more. Plus a bunch of hunting stories.

Both books are good, but neither is great. I keep looking for a better book but haven't found it yet.

Get both books if you can, but "Into the Thorns" would be the first one I'd get.

Posts: 542 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote