Find
Notify
Tools

Heat, Thirst and Ivory by Fred Everett
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heat, Thirst and Ivory by Fred Everett

Wow! A new top 10 to add to the library. I just finished volume one (Tuskers in the Dust comes out this fall according to Safari Press) and it is a similar tale to Selous' best efforts or Bell's best. This guy was an outcast in his family and at school. At 13, he left home with a local African that was a father figure to him and he began hunting - everything from elephant to lion to francolin. He started with a .22 and moved up to a .404 when he was big enough to handle the recoil. He was a true naturalist, self taught in the bush and an avid learner from his African adopted father. His own parents wanted nothing to do with him - they stole his money when he was a child, beat him and never truly appeared to accept him. The "bush" did accept him and he tells a fantastic tale of his teen years hunting and traveling.

This is a page turner and very well done by Safari Press. I rate this easily a solid 9 out of 10 and would heartedly recommend to anyone. You will like this one.

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Dogcat.

I agree 100% about the book.

The man himself is the genuine article. I was fortunate to have met Everett in Pretoria and to have watched him try to teach my 20-year-old granddaughter how to make the clicking sounds the Bushmen speak.

I was saddened to learn later that, like a great many of the old African hunters, he failed to save money for his old age.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I failed to mention that if I could hunt with him for one day - I would fly to Zim to do it. I was that impressed with the book.

I am eagerly waiting for the sequel, Tuskers in the Dust, that is on back order at Safari Press.

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Thanks, I failed to mention that if I could hunt with him for one day - I would fly to Zim to do it. I was that impressed with the book."

Fred Everett lives in Pretoria, South Africa. Judging by his appearance I don't think he hunts any more. He's several years older than I am, and I'm 71. If you want to correspond with him, I can track down his mailing address from the friend who introduced me to him. I doubt that he has an email address.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote