New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Read This?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone read the book "One Man, One Gun?" I believe that's the title...written by a guy about his love affair with his rifle over his life. I think published by the NRA Press.

I don't believe there is a problem getting this book but I don't want to fork over the $ if it's a dog.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jy jones wrote something like that about hunting na 29 with 1 rem 700.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I haven't read it but hear it's good and it's on the to read list. He used a 30-06.
There aint much trouble a man can't fix with 700$ and a 30-06.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, Kino. The guy is on pretty safe ground writing about the 30/06. If I were going to be a one rifle guy, it would probably be my pick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't say I regret buying the book, because it has many wonderful photos and is a very nice, high quality hardback book telling about his quest to knock off all the north american big game species with his trusty old Remington ADL 30-06.

But ..... I don't much care for Mr. Jones writing style. It reads more like an encyclopedia and he spends waaaaaay too much time on facts, statistics, habits, diets, etc. of each creature. Maybe like Audobon would have done.

His actual accounts of each hunt are only a very small segment of the book, and really aren't too exciting. It's not one you'll sit down and read cover to cover.

I don't want to sound anti-religious, but I also felt like he went overboard pushing his christian beliefs and philosopies in this book. Seems like every other paragraph talks about how he prayed for this,I or counted on the good Lord to take care of this, etc. Obviously a real "churchy" individual. Some might like this.

In summary .... It's was worth the $60 for all the good photos and reference material, but certainly not one of my favorites. Try the internet for a used copy, sometimes you can save substantially.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the dude is a doctor. what did you expect?

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steiny - Thank you, sir. After reading your review I believe I'll give this book a pass. You saved me a goodly slug of $.