Find
Notify
Tools

In Coldest Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I was looking through my collection of old books on Africa, I came across a book called In Coldest Africa by Carveth Wells. It seems to have been written or published in 1929. It's a rather interesting book on a collection safari for the Milwakee Museum. Seems to be a good read. Any information on Carveth Wells?

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I Googled the name and found on the Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. website the text that is below:

Bill Quimby

"Carveth Wells an explorer and world traveler as well as an author and radio commentator. One of the most famous lecturers on the "expedition circuit," his fame being eclipsed perhaps by only Richard Halliburton and Lowell Thomas. Wells was also a prolific writer, and in fact wrote a book about the filming of this Cudahay-Massee expedition to the Ruwenzori. Carveth Wells was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a member of the Circumnavigators, Adventurers and Explorers Clubs.. He was born in 1887. Before he was six he could knit, crochet, sew and make baskets, while his hobby was breeding silk worms and white mice. After receiving his classical eduation at St. Paul's School, he graduated from London University and for a time practiced engineering. He then went on to travel nearly every corner of the globe as a soldier, explorer, writer, naturalist and railroad builder. He authored Years in the Malay Jungle, In Coldest Africa, Let's Do The Mediterranean, and The Jungle Man and His Animals. He also won a wide following with his radio broadcasts and travel films."

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
This is a better list of his books:

Six years in the Malay jungle
Kapoot: The Narrative of a Journey from Leningrad to Mount Ararat in Search of Noah's Ark
Bermuda in Three Colors
Adventure!
The road to Shalimar
Introducing Africa
North of Singapore
In coldest Africa
Let's do the Mediterranean
The Jungle Man and His Animals
Exploring the world with Carveth Wells
The field engineer's handbook
Raffles the Bird Who Thinks He is a Person
Panamexico!
Raff, the Jungle Bird

Incidentally, there is no shortage of copies of "In Coldest Africa" in the rare book market. Prices that I found in a quick search ranged from $4.00 for second editions in fair condition to $75.00 for a first edition ex-library copy. A first edition in fine condition might sell for twice that but I found none.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote