New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Solomon Mines (the guns)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw the old film circa 1950 with Stwart Granger and find a strange rifle.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies but did not pay much attention to that rifle. Be curious to know what it was. Pretty decent bore size, and a blot with a strange fore end. Confused

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also some pretty nice looking doubles.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Im still looking for information on this rifle.
The dobles are hammer back action with Jones underlevel. The one used by Quaterman (Granger) looks like a 8 or 10 bore.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
In the Movie Joe Kidd, it was a few of those rifles with the underneath magazine on them , i think it looks like som early type of bolt action repetear rifles, like the type that the Marines used for a while, i dont remeber exactly what they was called. In some other scenes there i saw on Salomons Mines Mausers and others.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Granger's autobiography "Sparks Fly Upward" he said he stopped in London and purchased three rifles on the way over to do this film. If I remember correctly, one was a .244 H&H, one a .375 and the last a Westley R. .577 double with single trigger. He wasn't permitted to hunt so he slipped away to hunt with some friends and used their rifle, a .470 double with two triggers. He fouled up as after the first shot he failed to pull the second trigger. I think I got this right but it has been a long time. Also from memory, I think a picture of the .577 was in a Guns&Ammo annual in the late 60's or 70's.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a picture of a rifle like that in a 69 Gun digest i had, but cant find ,it was a 45-70 which was Winchester but made by a French company something like Dreyse or Kropercheck

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory....atID=14&subcatID=174

Winchester Hotchkiss was it that made them . Interresting bolt action and many avaialble in the states still yet at fair prices .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote