New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Old times sake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just reread Tarzan of the Apes...for the 100th time.GOD I loved that book both as a child + now as an 'adult'.Any input?

Posts: 4213 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I haven't read it since eighth grade. I still have the book I bought in J.C. Penny's in 1948, though. Your post has got me looking forward to reading it again.

From what I remember, though, I suspect today's kids would think all those Edgar Rice Burroughs books (especially the science-fiction ones) and Johnny Weissmuller films were "corny"

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They probably would but as I don't value their opinion...mox nix. Enjoy reading Tarzan again Bill,it was a trip down memory lane for me.I met Johnny Weissmuller + got an autographed photo of him.This was in 65 or 66,I forget.The sad part of this was this was at the Buick dealership. "Come see the new Buicks + meet 'Tarzan'.No need to extend,you get the picture.It was however a pleasure to meet him + get his autograph;Hell,4 years before I got Stan Laurel's

Posts: 4213 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will read it again. Burroughs had a great imagination, and his books awed kids for decades. I wish I'd saved one of his science fiction titles. He and the author/cartoonist of Buck Rogers were born a couple of centuries early.

It must have been sad to meet Weissmuller hawking cars at a local dealership. It would be like having Ester Williams rent you a locker at the public swimming pool.

Bill

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Thanks. I will read it again. Burroughs had a great imagination, and his books awed kids for decades. I wish I'd saved one of his science fiction titles. He and the author/cartoonist of Buck Rogers were born a couple of centuries early.

It must have been sad to meet Weissmuller hawking cars at a local dealership. It would be having Ester Williams rent you a locker at the public swimming pool.

Bill

Damn, I missed her at that pool..... old
Now you guys have me looking for one of the books....I sure remember the old films...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Bill:

You may borrow my copy of "Tarzan of the Apes," after I find and read it again. There were several Tarzan sequels after that, and I probably read all of them as a boy as well as the author's science fiction titles.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Most Burroughs books are available online at Gutenberg.org.

The level of ignorance about Africa is entertaining, though they generally are a good read.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Anjin.

I couldn't find my old copy of "Tarzan of the Apes," but I was able to download a copy from Gutenberg late last night. Before I realized it, I had read five chapters! Thanks, Norman Conquest for reminding me of this classic. I now see why I read everything Burroughs wrote when I was a boy.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. Good reading my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great book! I have read my copy many times.

What happened to the Tarzan movies, you never see 'em on anymore?????

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote