Lake of freedom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you are interested in South Africa, this one is a "must read":

Title: The Covenant
Author: James A. Mitchener
ISBN: 0-449-21420-6

You'll find it on amazon.com for example. There you can read a sample, the first 29 pages. See product details.

This book starts 35000 years ago with a group of bushmen hunting, and ends at the end of the Apartheid era. During all this time the reader gets to follow three different "clans", one of Zulus, one dutch/afrikaans, and one english. It's a lot of history, about the first white settlers, the boer war, the trekBoers.
And best of all: it's a great, wonderful portrait of South Africa's spirit, nature and wildlife.

Posts: 112 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the name on the topic "Lake of freedom" is my translation of the swedish title for the book "Frihetens sj�". Then on amazon.com I saw that the english title is The Covenant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful book, read it a couple decades back. Probably not politically correct these days. -Fred

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, probably not politically correct. Better to see it as a fantastic history as it is.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ms T.Happy:
No, probably not politically correct. Better to see it as a fantastic history as it is.

I am glad it is not PC, the more reason to read it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote