THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Re: Elmer Keith The Other Side of a Western Legend

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elmer Keith The Other Side of a Western Legend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
Quote:

Anyone read this book? I just finished reading most of it and found it not worth a dern by my lights. Poorly written, grammatical errors, and misspelled words. 168 pages of next to nothing.

Hadn't read it, and now, probably won't buy it. I have a couple of Mr. Keith's books and the 2 volumes of "Gun Notes" and I like his writing. Can't remember ever hearing of the author of the subject book.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone read this book? I just finished reading most of it and found it not worth a dern by my lights. Poorly written, grammatical errors, and misspelled words. 168 pages of next to nothing.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the book was written piss poorly and had errors,it may have actually been written by keith and left untouched by an editor. Anything that Keith wrote that made it into books and magazines was worked over by editors. For the simple fact that keith was a redneck and had little formal education. Plenty of the people who worked with keith in the writing field are still alive and the majority of them cringe at remembering his writings. You needed alot of imagination and a decoder ring to clean up his drafts. I'm sure he's not alone. Most of what you read is not the author,but the editors final decisions.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must agree with RMK, based on following:

I knew (he died last year) a long time "gun writer" who was editor of Guns & Ammo, for awhile, who said they had to "clean up" everything Keith wrote for G&A.

I also know here in Idaho, two "older" gentlemen who knew Keith very well, and not only hunted with him, but traded guns with him. They said he was not the most "articulate" man they'd ever known.

I corresponded with Keith once, years ago, and his return letter was full of misspelled words and incorrect grammar. Notwithstanding all that, his information was superb... and that's what I think most of us admired about "ol' Elmer."

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This Gene Brown wrote the book, and is stated as the author. CR in 96 I believe it is, long after Elmer's death.

Mostly based on some visits and a couple of trips, with a chapter on the books Keith wrote and their worth. There was one notable error in fact too, that being the first safari was in 57 and not 49 as Brown has it. Had a 400 gr 375 bullet mentioned to which should have been 300 gr.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
My letters from Mr. Keith were full of typos, misspellings, etc. (kinda like on this forum sometimes). No cussing just to the point info and frankly, enthusiasm for the subject. I would have LOVED to have met him in person. Being one (or aspiring to be one) I tend to like curmudgeons.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
One of the great things about Elmer was he happily answered letters from shooters, whether he knew you or not, back when one had to take the time to handwrite a note, put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. Also was known for inviting visitors into his house to talk guns, whether he knew you or not. I didn't know him but have 2 nicely inscribed books from him and some fairly detailed handload data and correspondence on a 338-378KT he helped make, which I now own.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote