Find
Notify
Tools

Revolvers in print
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Four excellent books on my favorite firearms.

Hamilton Bowen's, The Custom Revolver; a modern classic available from www.bowenclassicarms.com

and two from John Taffin, Big Bore Handguns, and Big Bore Sixguns

If you are into cowboy shooting, Taffin's work on that subject is mighty fine as well.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
John Taffin has a new book just recently released called Single Action Sixguns and it it a great one as well, you should also mention Elmer Keith's 1955 classic " Sixguns"

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
"Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern is an outstanding book as well.

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Let me add a few more of my favorites: All three of Skeeter Skelton's books are great handgun books. Successful handgun Hunting by Phil Johnston,Handgun Hunting by Jurras & Nonte,Handgun Hunting by Mark Hampton and Hunting for Handgunners by Larry Kelly and JD Jones which features an article about MS Hitman

One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
"Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers" by Julian Hatcher is an excellent read as well.

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
is it me or the new math got you confused too? One by Bowen, and two by Taffin (my neighbor) equals three in SW Idaho...Sixguns by keith should be at the head of any shortgun shooters' list. Without Sixguns John would have been a somewhat portly schoolteacher in Ohio instead of being motivated to move out here to Idaho and get into handgun shooting.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Rich, I would have to agree that all handgun books should start with Elmer, then move to Skeeter and today we have the john Taffins. Elmer's 1955 classic Sixguns should be mandatory reading in every boys development also his 1936 Samworth book Sixgun Cartidges and loads, hell all of his books are great reads. Have you guys read "Elmer Keith ,The other side of the ledgend" by Gene brown. It is a very interesting book. Do you guys know Kent Lamont up their in Idaho, he was a friend of Elmer's as well.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Never been good with math; but, I also mentioned the Cowboy Shooting book by Taffin....
should have named it.....Action Shooting Cowboy Style. sofa Say hello to Mr T for me....

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Bill,
is it me or the new math got you confused too? One by Bowen, and two by Taffin (my neighbor) equals three in SW Idaho...Sixguns by keith should be at the head of any shortgun shooters' list. Without Sixguns John would have been a somewhat portly schoolteacher in Ohio instead of being motivated to move out here to Idaho and get into handgun shooting.

Rich

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Bill,
is it me or the new math got you confused too? One by Bowen, and two by Taffin (my neighbor) equals three in SW Idaho

? Bowen is in Tennessee

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bowen is in Tennessee -

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being redundant,I also have to say any works by Keith.I would also recommend Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4260 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote