New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mostly Tailfeathers by Gene Hill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is an older book, put out before Hill died. It is a collection of his essays and columns in Field & Stream under the heading "Tailfeathers".

This guy can write and cuts to the heart in each essay. He hunted Africa and a host of other places but mostly loved bird hunting on the East Coast with his dogs. He writes funny stories about guns, how many to have, how to deal with a not-so-gun crazy wife and problems with his shooting.

You will like this book. It is out there on secondary markets for about $20.

I read an essay nearly every day and laughed or cried with each one. He has a gift of being able to describe everyday "things" in a way that allows the reader to feel them.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dogcat - I have yet to read a Gene Hill collection that I didn't enjoy and I have a few of his books. Good reads indeed.

Posts: 734 | Location: Concord, NH | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have copies of all of his books, and enjoy all of them. Gene Hill was one of the best general outdoors writers to appear. I would love to have shared a day in the field with him.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote