New
Find
Notify
Tools

Islands in the Stream Bimini Book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my favorite piece of Hemmingway.

I just finished Islands in the Steam Bimini book.

Now great analysis to hunt just great reading.

The Bimini Boom was written in the 30s. By far the Best of the 3 official books of Islands in the Stream.

The Old Man was originally part of it, but was pulled out and Finished separately.

Knowing that Bimini is the foundation for Old Man in the Sea makes me enjoy Old Man and the Sea More.

Question? Do we think the Marlin the Old Man Hooks, Lands, but the sharks get us the same Marlin his Son David hooks and brings to the boat only to loose at the leader? I do.

The boys dying at the end was inspired by Hemmingway’s friend in the Island who was painter that lost his young Son.

I never understand Hemingway critique of shirt simple descriptions. No one writes long, beautiful scene describing paragraphs like Hemmingway. It is like he closes his eyes and paints description with words which was a practice of his.

Also, the dialogue can be short. It can be long snd expressive. Bimini is the best example of how human men to peers, men to employees, man to son, and son to mentors speak.

I love when Young Tom goes down to check in Eddy snd invite him to dine with them. I love how Eddy refuses and what I think is the why. Any one who has read this care to comment.

Of course, Roger’s fight was inspired by Hemmingway’s real fight with a New Yorker while on the Island.

Please, read.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My favorite part in the 'Bimini' chapter was his description of the "Little 18" barrel Mannlicher that they don't sell anymore." He devotes an entire paragraph to the description of this rifle; you can smell + feel the gun oil in the sheepskin case.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chapter where Mr. Bobby describes the water spot, hurricane, and end of time paintings. I laugh out loud every time. The dialogue sounds like real speech. You feel like you are in the bar watching and listening.

I really do not have a favorite Chapter or paragraph. The whole book builds on itself in perfection.

Yeah, Hemmingway does not like commas. He also does not denote a change in speaker every time, but it is a non issue.

Do you think the Old Man hooks and boats David’s Marlin?

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Like Papa said, "Write about what you know + not too long afterward."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Hemmingway, but one of my favorites is "A Moveable Feast."

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I love all of his books + short stories, depending on mood, I would have to opt 2 of the shorts as favorites; "The Short Happy Life Of Francis Macomber", + "Big 2-hearted river".[1+2]

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite short story is

A Three Day Blow.

I read it with a glass of bourbon on the first frost and the night before fall deer season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the way Hemingway wrote. Simple sentences. I love the feud that F. Scott and Hemingway had, where F. Scott said Hemingway's writing never made anyone refer to a dictionary. I love both authors, but Hemingway's writing is easily to understand.

I tell my associates when writing a brief or a motion to write like Hemingway. No one should have to go to a dictionary to understand what you are saying.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That recalls a conversation between F. Scott + Hemingway while in Paris about, after cutting out all the non- necessaries, who could write the shortest short story. Hemingway wrote "For sale, Baby shoes, Never worn."

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also in one of his conversations with F.Scott who idolized the rich + made the comment to Hemingway that the rich are really different from the rest of us to which Hemingway replied, "You're right, they have more money."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But the same problems, it seems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed!; + then so. Zelda had to be committed to an insane asylum for the rest of her life. Wealth is a relative term. In regard to that, as apropos, reread
the poem, "Richard Corey".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think she died at in a fire at that place. Horrible.

Hemmingway May never made anyone pick up a dictionary. However, Hemmingway’s writing made me go read a lot more books. He loves to reference books in his work.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I love the way Hemingway wrote. Simple sentences. I love the feud that F. Scott and Hemingway had, where F. Scott said Hemingway's writing never made anyone refer to a dictionary. I love both authors, but Hemingway's writing is easily to understand.

I tell my associates when writing a brief or a motion to write like Hemingway. No one should have to go to a dictionary to understand what you are saying.

That is why Hemingway's writing reaches one hell of a lot more people than Fitzgerald's. Hemingway was aware that his writing would appeal to (or at least be readable by) anyone. I guess it's the Princeton influence versus the Kansas City Star influence.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the same problems, it seems.

As the old song goes:

The people got money,
still got problems.

They go a psychiatrist,
to try to solve 'em

Any way you look at it,
It's still called the blues...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, concerning Hemingway + the lack of dictionary usage was also shard by William Faulkner. That being said, he was an 'any-MAN'S author' + that is not in any means disrespectful. He wrote novels out of what he knew from personal experience. As he once said about writing, "Write about what you know + not too long afterward."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

Who did that? It's so true.

If you don't believe it, look at the Royal Family. They have billions, but aren't happy and don't get along.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned earlier; read or reread the poem "Richard Corey". I haven't read it in over 50 years, so I don't recall the poet's name, but it fits like a glove.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baxter,

Who did that? It's so true.

If you don't believe it, look at the Royal Family. They have billions, but aren't happy and don't get along.

Johnnie Taylor!! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNfF6QMkhY8