THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    What's wrong with "books and videos of interest?"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's wrong with "books and videos of interest?"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted
I like the accuratereloading.com forums, but does anyone share my disappointment about the lack of traffic on "Books and Videos of Interest"? This should be one of the top ten most popular forums on the entire site, and it's far from that.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Bill, I do , franly I am a little surprised. I love to hunt,shoot, reload and generally love my guns I usually have between 45-55 guns most of the time and while I have my favorites I do trade and am constantly finding new gun loves. My library started when I was about 12 ( thanks to outdoor life and field & stream book clubs) and has continued non stop till today ( just turned 50)I have never traded a book have read all of them numerous times. My collection is extremely varied and I am constsantly on ther look out for new ones.I would have thought that anyone who takes the time to read and post their thoughts on such a varied agenda as this forum would also be a heavy reader/collector of sporting books.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill,

All we can do is add the forum; we cannot make the Members use it. Confused

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I would have thought that anyone who takes the time to read and post their thoughts on such a varied agenda as this forum would also be a heavy reader/collector of sporting books."

My point exactly. Like you I have maybe 50 centerfire rifles, and it wouldn't bother me to sell the lot. But don't mess with my library. I've been collecting, reading and reviewing African and Asian big game hunting and natural history books for perhaps 40 years, and now have about 2,500 such books (judging by the number of feet of shelf space they occupy -- I've never counted them).

I also have 3-foot-tall stacks of books scattered about my office and trophy room.

I need to do some culling, but I'm not ready to part with a single one.

My big problem now is finding a particular book I know has what I'm looking for when I'm doing research for my own books.

I tried entering a synopsis of each one in computer files, but I quit after a couple of days. It was just too much work.

BillQ

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
just checking to see if my avatar shows up. BillQ

posted Hide Post
Nice lion, Bill. Where was that brute taken?

Do you have a bigger photo of it?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thanks, GeorgeS.

Mumbwa (I've forgotten whether it was West or East) on my first trip to Zambia in 1994. C.J. McElroy and I were hunting with Henri van Aswegen.

It was my first and only lion -- so I don't know if they were blowing smoke -- but both claimed it was the largest-bodied lion they'd seen. It was all that seven of us could do to get it in the Toyota.

It would have ranked somewhere in the SCI top 10 if I'd entered it.

I stopped entering trophies after I became the book's editor, though.

I have several photos, but don't know how to post them.

BillQ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) I think TV has taken the mickey out of good writing.

2) I think hunting videos are so bad they have talken the mickey out of themselves.

3) I love books but I have moved from country to country so often that I am always being forced to get rid of most of them. Same with trophies. I have about 30 scattered around all parts of the world in other peoples houses and garages.

But they are part of my spoor. You can tell when I have visted a place by the stack of books left behind in somebody's barn or closet.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I suspect that not that not as many of these books get read as one might think (although they may get bought). My shelves strain under the weight of each month's new Africa books. But I have alot of time on airplanes and in hotels to read what I buy. Also, since I can't hunt as often as some, it is my second best way to enjoy hunting. If someone gives a book a recommendation on this forum I tend to go out and buy it (if I don't already have it). But one of the curiosities of AR is that it will be posted under Africa Hunting rather than under books.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"But one of the curiosities of AR is that it will be posted under Africa Hunting rather than under books."

Wink: This is one of my peeves about this forum. It really bugs me to find books discussed elsewhere because it means there are others I've missed because I don't open every file in this site.

Ted: Leaving such spoor may be better than living in the same house for 41 years. I have close to 3,000 books now (measuring them by the foot). A ceiling to floor, wall-to-wall bookcase is full, another 12 feet of store-bought bookcases is full, and there are three-foot-tall stacks of books here and there all over my office, and this does not include the full bookcases at my summer cabin.

Most were sent to me by publishers when I still did book reviews, but I'm afraid I also have enough of my own dollars invested to have paid for a full-bag Tanzania safari.

Bill Quimby Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill,

When I moved to Burkina Faso I gave most of my wildlife and hunting books to the Ontario Federation of Anglers and hunters and they tell me it has doubled the size of their Library.

I rented a large van for $500 and took the rest ( a stack of boxes about 12 feet long, six feet high and eight feet wide that were non-hunting) to a used book store in Toronto and the owner gave me $365 for them.

I still have stacks and cartons full here and there all over the place. Whenever I vist old friends the titles stare out at me from their Libraries.

I once had a chance to get all copies of the American Rifleman Magazine from day one to about 1980 for free but could find no place to put them so let them go.

In the last two months I have bought about 30 used books from Alibris. Its like drugs as is this AR site. Its got to stop or at least come under control.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Ted:

I absolutely must do some culling. I've talked with dealers who specialize in Africana books (most of my books are in this genre) but although they are interested I'm not ready to bring them into my home.

I've even thought about having my daughter and grandson sell them one-by-one on e-bay and giving her half of whatever they get.

My problem is I'm not ready to get rid of any of my books. For example, recent discussion on this forum led me to read "Death in the Long Grass" again. (I agree with your observations about it, incidentally.) If I'd sold my copy, I'd be angry at myself about now.

Also, a large number of my books are review copies of expensive signed, limited editions. I'm not quite sure what the ethics are of putting these books on the market, especially those that still are in print.

Many of my books are autographed to me by their authors, and that presents a problem, too. I would not like any of them to know I've sold books they've given me.

At my age I guess I shouldn't worry. In too few years my widow can worry about them.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
me to read "Death in the Long Grass" again

A really adequate library isn't as portable as a few rifles. I'm in temporary exile from home (BC)and Imiss my neighbors, I miss the hunting, but mostly I miss my books. When the wife and I return for our too-short visits, I always enjoy my evening hours rereading any of my books.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I always enjoy my evening hours rereading any of my books."

I do too.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by billrquimby:
"I always enjoy my evening hours rereading any of my books."

I try to get the house quiet early so I can get comfy and read or re read one of my favorites. I have many of Capstick's work, but just this week obtained Death in a Lonely Land. Problem with it is I wake up next day looking to get reservations, and then have my wife tell me I'm too old to be going into the jungles of Brazil looking for a black jaguar. And I tell her - wrong - better a black jaguar than a battle with you.....honey. Thank you Peter for the joy you have brought and the dreams you have built. stir

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very extensive library in my home too.Several rooms with book shelves floor to ceiling.Of course there's always the most recent addition to the rifle collection,+ sometimes the disbursment of same.But not the books.They continue to accumulate.I have loaned out,even given rifles away +never felt a great loss if the recipient was deemed worthy or in need;but one who takes a book + fails to see its intrinsic value by not returning it or treating it like so much refuse,I consider to be a serious breach of friendship.I've raised my sons with the joy + passion of hunting + shooting,+ the value of good books.Those of us who truly enjoy reading understand what it means to us + no explanation is necessary.I will say also that I have friends who as they have grown older,have sold off guns + ceased to hunt.But I have NEVER heard of anyone who says,"I used to like to read,but don't anymore".I believe that is a gift one keeps for life.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest:

We are kindred spirits.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
The kindred spirits group is growing. The only books I ever gave away were ones I had duplicates and then I made sure who I gave the copy to would appreciate the gift. Guns come and go and we love them all ( sometimes just brief affairs) but books are another item. After 30 years my wife recently asked me ( prompted by the book from Safari Press) when I was going to stop buying books, I told her I was unsure of when it was exactly that i was going to die.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your spousal responce was recieved with compassionate understanding.I certainly hope the kindred spirits group is growing.I would like to believe humbly that that is an expression of intellegent behavior.I also have made sure that the books I've given away were duplicates,+ were recieved by ones who would appreciate them.But,of couse,what else?I have a good friend who many years ago introduced me to the works of Jim Corbett;principally "Man Eaters of Kumaon".Of course after reading it I returned it.Fast forward several years;he then loaned it to his brother-in-law,+ it was never seen again.After a bit of searching,I was able to find a first edition,H.C. + it gave me great satisfaction to give it to him for Christmas.At another point in time this same fellow gave me a copy of "Stray Sport",an 1898 copy,stamped on the inner leaf from the British Garrison on Malta.I recently picked up from Amazon,a 1940 H.C.(of couse) copy of "Falcons of France".I had'nt read that since I was a boy.It lost nothing over time.I can only assume that when we see these treasures available,that the previous owners have passed on.I have afriend in Houston,in the book business,that buys estate sales.He usually contacts me when coming across volumes of Africana + signed 1st editions,etc.Right now he's talking with an older man (90's) that has a pretty fair collection of WW1 literature,but is loath to part with it.I can certainly understand that.However since he sees the writing on the wall he's considering doing so.The best I can say is they will have a good home with someone who would appreciate them.But no pressure.I seemed to have rambled on,but it's refreshing to find a site with like minded individuals.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This should be one of the top ten most popular forums on the entire site, and it's far from that

+1 coffee

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I like to read about hunting around the world and have a rather large library of hunting and shooting books. It is a collection of 40 years. Maybe a few of us can pep it up here. One book I have finally finished is Asian Hunter by Capt. John Brandt. Detailed, but a good read. Some DVD's I just purchased while on vacation were the collection by Osa and Martin Johnson. Their African safaris in the 20's. Africa like it will never be again. My wife and I went to the Johnson museum in Chanute Kansas where I purchased them. That's my feeble attemp to get things started. Who's next?

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Cessna:

John Brandt is a friend, a hunter with much experience around the world, and a fine fellow. You may want to read some of his other books about hunting in Asia (check www.alibris.com for his name).

Osa Johnson purposely provoked a lot of charges and shot a lot of beasts, virtually at her feet, just so Martin could film it. She then went back to the States and railed against hunting and hunters in her lectures. I've read her books, and I am not one of her fans.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill, you were the one who introduced me to Capt. Brandt. My autographed copy of Asian Hunter came from him. Since then I've purchased his other books. As to the Johnsons, I did'nt know all that. It does put a totally different spin on things. As I've gotten older I've developed zero tolerance for anti-hunters. I've been know to ask folks to leave my house when they objected to my hunting library or trophy room. Anyway I'm looking forward to your hunting book, which I ordered some time ago. I understand publishing became a pain in the you know what for you.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cessna:
... I understand publishing became a pain in the you know what for you.

Don't know what you mean, except that it has been a pain to wait for my own book to appear in print. Working a regular job as editor/publisher and reporting to a director, president and a board was a pain, too, but that's long behind me.

I'm not out of it yet, though. I'm working on my 13th book (for another hunter) since retiring from my post at SCI in 1999. Smiler

Thanks for ordering my book, Cessna. I appreciate it and hope you enjoy reading it.

Bill Quimby

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
How often do you find libraries in a persons house that you visit these days?

When I started in architecture, most large custom houses we designed for successful people had a study and library in the design program. There was a desk and reading chair positioned by a bay window.

Now, even for successful people, it is just a media room with a wide screen TV, a bar, a popcorn machine and a bunch of recliners.

When I go into a house today and see books I am instantly impressed.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Palmer, I have a builder friend of mine who told me the same thing the other night at dinner. A friend of mine the other day, called me about a yard sale with boxes of outdoor books. It turns out the family of an old hunter was getting rid of his books. They did'nt have the time to read, and no interest. I bought all three boxes for 12.00. There were books from Ben East, Russell Annabel, Elmer Keith. And many issues of the original Arizona Outdoor Sportsman from the 50's. I too am impressed by a home with a library.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cessna:
Palmer, I have a builder friend of mine who told me the same thing the other night at dinner. A friend of mine the other day, called me about a yard sale with boxes of outdoor books. It turns out the family of an old hunter was getting rid of his books. They did'nt have the time to read, and no interest. I bought all three boxes for 12.00. There were books from Ben East, Russell Annabel, Elmer Keith. And many issues of the original Arizona Outdoor Sportsman from the 50's. I too am impressed by a home with a library.

Are you sure it was "Arizona Outdoor Sportsman?" I grew up reading "Arizona Wildlife Sportsman" ("& Travelogue" was added just before its demise) and still have 75 or so issues.

I sold AWS some of my first hunting articles in the early 1960s. One of my paintings (of an antelope) was used on one of its covers.

Its editors included Charlie Niehus, Bob Housholder, and Bob Hirsch, all three of whom I later got to know well.

Its readership and advertising revenue crashed and the magazine folded when new owners tried to be all things to all people outdoors.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill, your right, it is the Arizona Wildlife Sportsman. I scanned one from the box. Small magazine, I remember reading it growing up in Tucson. It looks to maybe be 15-20 issues or so.
/alb

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill, you mentioned Bob Householder. In 1972 he self-published a small book called Diary of a Big Game Hunter in which he wrote about taking all of the North American Big Game animals. I believe I was in one of the taxidermist shops in Phoenix when he came in with a few of them. I have no idea how many he had printed. This is my autographed copy, and gives real insight into his quest for all the Big Game animals. It's about 63 pages long and about the size of the Arizona Wildlife Sportsman magazine.

[URL=http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo136/cessna_album/?action=view¤t=householder.jpg] [/URL

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Cessna:

I have Housholder's "Diary of a Big Game Hunter" also, as well as several other books and booklets that he self-published and sent me to review. At least one of those books has sparked the interest of collectors and is valuable if in good condition.

Housholder was the only person in my half-century of involvement in newspapers, magazines and books who threatened to sue me. It involved a newspaper article I wrote in about 1967 or '68 that reported he had been charged wtih using a helicopter to guide desert sheep hunters.

Wildlife managers said the machine was parked at his camp when they arrived to check his client during the hunt, but the charges ultimately were dropped because they failed to prove he had used the machine illegally.

His lawsuit was never filed and his anger with me cooled, and I later served at his invitation as one of his judges on a couple of award programs he sponsored to honor hunters and guides in Arizona.

Soon after that, he was arrested on child pornography charges, and received a suspended sentence that ended his outdoor writing career.

The Grand Slam Club that he founded still is in existence, and it still uses his photo in its promotions from time to time.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
The only other books I have of his besides the Diary is the one on Black Bear and the one on Grizzlies. I probable don't have the valuable one right? I did'nt know about the charges. I seem to remember the helicopter issue. I was thinking he wrote a book also on guiding for sheep. I probably can't find it as I'm in a mess after remodeling the library. I'm glad this book forum is here. You and the others make it so interesting.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Bill,

All we can do is add the forum; we cannot make the Members use it. Confused

George

George, I think one of the problems is in where the forum is in the line up. IMO, since a full 80% of the patrons here are African hunters, and/or are big bore/double rifle nuts, the place for this forum in the minue line up is between the African hunting, and big bore, and double rifle forums.

Another thing may be a need for a segmented book forums, ie; African hunting books, rifle books. I notice that when a book is mentioned it is uaually in the forum for the subject matter of the book being posted about, maybe that is the key to popularity of this forum, or the lack of!

I am a book lover if there ever was one, but I have been on Ar for several years, and this is the first post I have ever posted here.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
From time to time, Saeed reminds members that they should post threads in the proper forums ... and, again from time to time, the moderators will move certain posts to the proper places.

I've not seen this done with books and videos items, however. I only read the African and South American hunting forums, and it makes me wonder if I'm missing discussions on books in the forums I'm not opening.

I earlier suggested that the Books and Videos of Interest forum be closed if Seed's rules about posting weren't to be followed, but nothing came of it.

Bill Quimby