New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD- Hunting The African Elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A no-nonsense, 'how to'on all aspects of elephant hunting with loads of practical advice. Narration by Buzz Charlton and good camera work make this excellent viewing, even for non-pachyderm hunters. Stocked by Rowland Ward and Safari Press.

Posts: 78 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have watched mine four times in anticipation of my hunt in late August with Buzz. Smiler One of the best DVDs on hunting I have ever seen.

Surely Harland is not Richard Harland, but if it is THE Richard Harland, let me just say that I have thoroughly enjoyed your books, The Hunting Imperative and African Epic. And your book on elephant hunting, Ndlovu is a perfect compliment to Buzz's DVD. You have a no-nonsense, matter of fact way of writing that is very readable.

If Harland is not THE Richard Harland, if and when you meet him, pass along my regards.

Mike

Posts: 21349 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thank you for the kind comments on my books - much appreciated! Also glad you agree on the Charlton DVD, it's worth every cent. Only problem is, two out of the three characters Buzz interviewed have since died!!!

Richard H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed 100% on the DVD and Richard's books. They are all excellent.

Richard, I didn't know you were posting here. Thanks for your recent signing of the books for me. Also, I am your invite to Alaska with Buzz for fishing. Hope you can make it as I would really enjoy that.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great DVD. I have it and just finished it.

Mr. Harland's books are excellent as well. I have read two of them and am hoping to his elephant hunting book soon.

Posts: 10255 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the DVD today Again. Probably the best practical hunting video i had ever seen for African Game.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I bought the DVD a few weeks ago and have watched it through twice already. Very well done production. I have not hunted elephant, and its not likely I will, but I found it very educational and entertaining.

Welcome aboard, Mr Harland. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get it out and watch it every so often. It also keeps me inspired to keep saving for the next hunt!

Funny thing...Buzz's apprentice, Guy, told me he had never seen the video and he is filming for the next one which is not strictly elephant.

I understand that Boddington is coming out with an elephant DVD to go with his leopard and buff videos. I'm sure it will be well done but Craig's ele experience is far less than Buzz's.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harland:
Mike, Thank you for the kind comments on my books - much appreciated! Also glad you agree on the Charlton DVD, it's worth every cent. Only problem is, two out of the three characters Buzz interviewed have since died!!!
Richard H.

It is by far the best hunting DVD I have ever seen. And to you, Richard H., I enjoyed your interview and wish you a long and happy life, with no rush to the "wooden suit."

My grandsons watched it with me and could not believe your adventures with elephants. I wish I could afford to take them with one of these days while my legs are still strong enough to do the work required.

I am working on obtaining your books; already have Cedergren and Nyschens. Do you live in SA?

beer Bill

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Harland lives in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Dear Richard

My name is Mike taylor. I met you at the Reno show in 2006. I went out for a meal with you, your wife, Buzz, Myles, and a client.

I know run my own business selling hunts all over the world.

Buzz's DVD has gone down well in England i have sold quite a few copies. I play it at my shows here in the UK. I bought one of your books of you at the Reno Show "Ndlovu" sorry if the spelling is wrong. Which you signed for my father. I thought it was an excllent book!!!

Regards

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 688 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
billinthewild - Thank you for the comments! I am still in Zimbabwe. The other books are available from Rowland Ward (www.rowlandward.com) and Safari Press, both in the USA.
Best - Richard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miketaylor:
Dear Richard

My name is Mike taylor. I met you at the Reno show in 2006. I went out for a meal with you, your wife, Buzz, Myles, and a client.

I know run my own business selling hunts all over the world.

Buzz's DVD has gone down well in England i have sold quite a few copies. I play it at my shows here in the UK. I bought one of your books of you at the Reno Show "Ndlovu" sorry if the spelling is wrong. Which you signed for my father. I thought it was an excllent book!!!

Regards

Mike

I remember you well, Mike! Great to hear business is good. Reckon Buzz owes us both a free bull elephant trophy?? Let me know if you plan on a visit to Zim - Buzz has my contact details.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harland:
billinthewild - Thank you for the comments! I am still in Zimbabwe. The other books are available from Rowland Ward (www.rowlandward.com) and Safari Press, both in the USA.
Best - Richard.

I intend to order one or more this next week.
I have also been in contact with Buzz Charlton who seems most courteous and a man I would like to hunt with. Maybe next year if these old bones will allow it. Perhaps I will meet you both in Reno or Dallas this coming show season.
Be well..... beer

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BillInTheWild,
Buzz is an excellent young man, great elephant hunter and NO bullshit - which is why I was happy to be associated with his DVD. If you care to, bring to Reno any of my books you might have and I'll autograph them.
Richard Harland.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Richard,

A week from this coming Wednesday I will be hunting a bull and tuskless cow with Buzz in Makuti. Any words of advice?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have a blast in Makuti and you already know Buzz is great.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and I will be using Mr. Harland's favorite caliber, the .458 Win Mag. As it turns out, will also be hunting lion. Does it get any better than that?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 458 and definitely respect Richard's vast experience with it.

Lion you say? You got the unused permit then. I wondered who would get it next. I hope you see something nice. There are definitely lions in the area with all of the buffalo around.

PM to you.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Buzz and I have our work cut out for us. But we have a plan and all good things begin with with a good plan ... so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
I spent a very happy weekend reading Mr. Harland's book and watching Buzz's video, having both done almost at the same time is like going elephant hunting.
Congratulation both for a great master piece in elephant hunting.
LMCH

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
For a birthday present for myself from Safari Press, there was ordered some videos and books, one of the films was hunting the African Elephant, looking forward to getting it.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Harland,

dare we hope that you will make it to the 2008 SHOT Show in Las Vegas February 1st?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Mr Harland,

dare we hope that you will make it to the 2008 SHOT Show in Las Vegas February 1st?

Rich
DRSS

Right now I'm under a government eviction order so might lose my home of 63 years in the next couple of weeks. This might cause me to cancel all plans to visit the USA in January/Feb next year. Maybe another time??
Best regards, Richard Harland.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Richard, Buzz mentioned that to me but I did not want to say anything on the forum about it. This is a tragic situation for you and your wife and we will remember you in our thoughts. At some point the madness in Zim over the farm seizures will have to come to an end. It is a tragedy to see all the idle farm property in Zim, the crumbling tobacco barns, the fields going fallow . . .

Mike

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Mr. Harland its an honour to have you in the forum ,ill follow you posts closely ,PHs from all over the world can learn of your experience.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote