New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pondoro, Last of the Ivory Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finished Pondoro & was really impressed with Taylor's laid back style. His writing is alot like E. Kieths', just kinda tell's it like it is.
One of my favorite chapters is on the Hippo. He goes into great detail about spear hunting in dugout canoes.
He states that the magazine rifle was the beginning of the end of old Africa.
The books summary says he died destitute in England, I would like to find out more of his latter years.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in Taylor's life, read Capstick's biography "A Man Called Lion". Taylor's life was sad in many ways, if Capstick's account is accurate. You should definitely read Taylor's "African Rifles & Cartridges", if you haven't already.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Pondoro, well I was. I put it down to read fellow North Carolinian Robert Ruark's "Use Enough Gun." Either Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway or Pondoro will be next though.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like African Rifles And Cartridges also.Taylor and Keith were pen pals.If you read Keiths Rifles for Large Game it is very Similar to Taylors African Rifles and Cart.I have heard Taylor used Keiths book to write his.I like both Keith first and then Taylor.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote