Find
Notify
Tools

Mark V Introduction folder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I've acquired a folder dated May 27, 1958 anouncing the Weatherby Mark V rifle. This folder is addressed to Lucian Carey of True magazine. It contains an intoduction letter from Roy Weatherby telling of the Mark V development and testing. Also several pages of test data. After his signature he hand writes to Carey to not leak the information until the September announcement of the Mark v. There are also several glossy 8x10 photos of an artist drawing of the Mark V and the inner workings of the Mark V. One has a mistake on it and is noted by a stick-on saying such. After the photos of the artists work there is an outline saying that is what the owners manual will say. This is a very interesting piece of american gun history I think. Is there any value to this folder? Or is it just a great addition to my library?

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"WEATHERBY COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION The Association was formed with the purpose of "creating an association where many Weatherby admirers could pool their knowledge and experience for the benefit of all..." Members receive a periodic newsletter with buy-sell-swap opportunities and bid opportunities on limited edition, commemorative firearms. For information, visit www.weatherbycollectors.com or write P.O. Box 1217, Washington, MO 63090; (636) 239-0348; E-mail: wcasecretary@aol.com."

The above is from the Weatherby company's website. I would think your folder would be v-e-r-y attractive to one of the association's members.

Incidentally, I got your check today and will send your book out tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I'm looking forward to reading your book. I bought the folder, because I was not sure it was not getting thrown away. Items like these that are a part of our firearm and hunting history need to be with folks who appreciate them. I have not heard from our friend in Alamosa for quite some time now. Again thank you for the book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hazard a guess it's worth a hundred dollars, at minimum. Lucian Cary was a well known writer, it might be worth more than that to a historian.

I used to save five bucks from my lawn mowing jobs from about fourth grade on and buy the new catalog each year. It's a shame they stopped putting out that yearbook/catalog. They still hunted tigers in those days...

Rich
DRSS

PS: you are absolutely going to love Bill's book. I treasure my copy.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rich.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Rich, I also have the Guides through the years. I was in two issues when I was a young man. Right after the announcement of the Weatherby .22 Deluxe, I took a limit of Abert squirrels with one above Wood's Canyon Lake. Just for grins I sent a photo of myself, the rifle and the squirrels to Weatherby. A year later when I got the new guide, there I was. My total claim to fame.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Cessna:

You apparently sent me a PM, but I was unable to open it. Did you receive my book?

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I did receive it, thanks. I was out of town for a few days and just picked it up this morning. I've a long plane ride coming up and it will be my read on the plane. Thank you for autographing it for me.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Please let me know what you think about it.

Did you PM me earlier? I received an AR email that said you did but, as I said earlier, it would not open.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill,
yes I did, it was just to say thanks.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
For those of you interested, the folder is now in the hands of Ed Weatherby and the Weatherby Co. Seems it was very unique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a good man, Charlie Brown!!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Just an update on the folder. Ed Weatherby and his people had never seen this folder before. They asked if they could scan the letter and some of the tests and photos. They seemed to want to write something or other about it. They said they would give me credit for finding it. That's neither here or there with me. They returned it to me with a Weatherby cartridge board and an autographed copy of the Weatherby book which I felt was a nice gesture. Anyway I have the folder back. If anyone is interested, I could sure use a good pair of binoculars. And would consider a trade for a good pair.