Find
Notify
Tools

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
I recently purchased this book, along with a couple of the DVD's of Dick's life in Alasaka. I think it's an amazing story of a man living his dream, heading into the great outdoors and just living life!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyote, what is that book about

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
I watched the video last year. It's the most amazing story ever!

http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Just ordered it!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Coyote, what is that book about

It's about Dick Proenneke, a guy who retired and moved to the Twin Lakes region in Alaska, built his own log cabin with hand tools, and lived there till he was 82 years young. It's an amazing story of a man living his dream....I actually just started re-reading the book last night after finishing it no more than 2 weeks ago....it's that good!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of the PBS stations run 'Alone in the Wilderness' during their pledge days and give the vid or DVD as a pledge bonus. My local station has been showing it for a few years. It's quite a remarkable story. All the footage was taken by Dick himself.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
Please, please, please...

If you get the chance to watch the DVD then grab it!
It really is utterly amazing and the most wonderful film I have ever seen.

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 2 DVD's with the book and yes, they both are amazing. One of the best "nature films" I have ever watched!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the book from Hotbook

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote