New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Book on 1911?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone recommend a god book on the 1911.

I do not want a photo heavy table book.

What I am looking for is a good book that gives the details on the evolution of the design from the Colt 1900 Auto to the pistol we have today.

Of particular interest would be a book coontaining information of how much influence or direct design John Browning had on the 1911s final development coming out of the Army Trials.

Posts: 11004 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You might try Jerry Kuhnhausens book on the 1911. Brownells used to sell it,probably still does.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 11004 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a book called The Colt 1911 published in 2011by Leroy Thompson. I’m got to read the introduction on Amazon and the intro and table of contents reveal it at least touches on what I am looking for.

Norman Conquest: Thank you and not ignoring your recommendation. It just appears to be the Premier 1911 Smith bible. I am looking for more history and development preferably with citations. If you can JK’s bible than you really know how the 1911works.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have also wished that someone would write a book about how many medal of honor recipients did so by using the 1911,like Hanneken.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago Colt catalog had a insert with all the Medal of Honor Marine Corps recipients that had earned a Medal of Honor through use of the Colt 1911.

Correction it was an article written in the Colt Collectors Association magazine. I will try to find it. May still have it.

I think Colt would readily give you the list with a call. Please note, I am not trying to be smart just pass on info.