New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unintended Consequenses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just for the sake of keeping literary discussion alive,who has read this most excellent piece of work by John Ross + your thoughts therein?

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I AM curious,has anyone else ever read this?Or if you have are you afraid of the 'thought police'?This a most excallant book concerning the shooting culture + a novel of the highest regard in writing skill.I cannot recommend it more highly ,you can most likely only find it at a gun show ;mores the pity that that is the only place you can find it.LOOK for a 1st edition if at all possible as the ATF filed suit on the author to make him remove the name of the shooter who took out Randy Weaver's wife + son (+dog).That is SOOO minor in the course of this book.It is a history of our culture + done in exquesite style.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shall look today at the show.
Thanks for your time.

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John is alive and well, and is in the process of reprinting the book to take the "anonymous" sniper out and give him a name.

You can PM with him if you go over to www.castboolits.com

I helped him out with some of the long range stuff in the book.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
NC:

I happened to find the book years ago (probably in 2004 or so) at Barnes & Noble. To be perfectly honest, the cover caught my eye. Then I read just a bit and bought it I think for $25. Anyway, I misplaced it while moving and had read half. Just found it recently and now am reading the rest. Heckuva first book that's for sure.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich,I get on the castboolit sight as well;will try to drop him a line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Havent even heard of it-can it be found online?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cross L,I don't know but I will guarantee that you will LOVE this book.Find it wherever you can + trust me it will be one of your favorites.
I personally have bought numerous editions to give to friends because WE (of the gun culture,et al )will appreciate this.Do the same + help support one of ours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the book about 10 years ago, thought it was great. The idea that you can convert a Win 63 to full auto with a paper match was a little over the top. Would like to see someone shoot trap with a BAR.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
alibris.com has eight copies, and they range in price from $75 to more than $2,600 for an autographed copy.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Yackley,believe it.I was only a kid,but Adolph Tupperwein could shoot in a fashion that I would be proud to emulate had I his skill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JR also has a website, but the book sale link is to Accurate Press, which is out of stock -no longer listed.

http://www.john-ross.net/store.php

There are quite a few of his 'Ross in Range' opinion columns there though, which are worth reading - http://www.john-ross.net/inrange.php

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My signed copy is very well worn. It is great book.

Matthew Brackens books are great also he has a series of books starting with Enemies Foreign and Domestic.

These are a great read also.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim McVeigh loved it. What's that tell you?!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Tim loved it the bombing happen in 1995 the book came out in 1996.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was and is a great book. A bunch of the History in the book was NOT taught in any school I attended.

I have read it several times and it sits in an honored spot on my mantle.

I wish it would come out in paperback, I would buy many copies for distribution.

I give this book many thumbs up.

Ignored post by DaDumbass posted 17 March 2011 05:55

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I have the book and enjoyed it very much. I made the mistake of ordering it online, I'm sure I made a few watch lists for that. Buy yours in person if you can!

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or buy it online.....but do it in volume! We used to have a thing called "The Blue Law" her in Texas.Long story short it involved some items that could not be sold on Sunday.ALL the merchants in Texas revolted! YOU CANNOT PUT US ALL IN JAIL + SHUT DOWN COMMERCE.They repealed the law.My Point?......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tim McVeigh loved it. What's that tell you?!!!

Always a dumbass, it matters not what forum he is in.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have just posted mine for sale in classified.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes on your sale but best wishes to the purchaser as they have a beautiful literary journey in store.I envy them for their first read.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved the book when if first came out but unfortunately let my hard copy get away after I read it two or three times. Recently found an electronic copy which I enjoyed reading again and also passed it on to several enthusiasts all of whom really liked the book. Great historical stuff that I haven't seen any where else.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EVERYONE should have this book.Buy a copy for someone you love.(flowers too would'nt hurt) but truthfully;everyone who has read this has the same lasting impression.....a sequil,PLEASE!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent book that should be required reading for US citizens!

posted Hide Post
Read this book, then look at the "Fast & Furious" scheme. Mad

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
good point George

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shall we keep this post alive?Everyone who has read this novel[sic] agrees to the value of it's content.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Bill in the wild, did you ever sell your copy? if not PM please

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read it. Good book, good reminder of some of the atrocities our government has committed against us citizens.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Read this book, then look at the "Fast & Furious" scheme. Mad

George

Now that was a dumb scheme and a half if ever
I saw one.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine loaned it to me in the late 90's and I really enjoyed it. There is some history in there that isn't taught in
schools and I appreciated that.
However, I have to say that at some points it did drag on a bit about the main characters shooting skills/ability etc.
At a certain point I was thinking, "ok, the guy is really great shot, I get it...move on".

The main character also transformed into a bit of a "James Bond" toward the end, which happens a lot in literature.
I do however agree with the way the Federal Government is shown to be incompetent and totally lacking of knowledge and understanding of the "gun culture".

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,thanks for your input + glad you enjoyed the book. Good reading everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was the best work of fiction I've ever read.

I read it as a PDF.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on this thread, I picked up a signed copy on EBay. Looking forward to reading it.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IDE,once you have finished it (or before) I do believe that you will be buying copies for your friends as I did.Enjoy your read Amigo.