Find
Notify
Tools

A good read
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
My wife gave me " East of the Sun, West of the Moon" By TR and His brother Kermit for christmas, it is a good book written during the last of the great exploration time frames.. She bought the book from a book dealer, inside the front cover is written
" to Ruth from Kitty christmas 1930" I would like to know the story behind the book.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
My wife gave me " East of the Sun, West of the Moon" By TR and His brother Kermit for christmas, it is a good book written during the last of the great exploration time frames.. She bought the book from a book dealer, inside the front cover is written
" to Ruth from Kitty christmas 1930" I would like to know the story behind the book.

Kermit was one of TR's sons. It is a good book.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
He also had a Brother named Kermit, He was introduced as such in the first sentence in the book. I also knew one of his sons was named Kermit.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
He also had a Brother named Kermit, He was introduced as such in the first sentence in the book. I also knew one of his sons was named Kermit.

Oh, you learn something new all the time. I suppose that is why he named his son Kermit. Not after the frog like I thought. Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Teddy that wrote this book was Teddy Jr, the President's son, not the President Teddy Roosevelt. So, the Kermit that also wrote parts of the book, was the author's brother and the son of the President.

BTW, it is a fantastic book and has been mentioned here a few threads. Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
It remains one of my favorite books. And it, more than any other hunting book I have read, makes me want to folow their footsteps. But alas, now I would need an oxygen tank, a four wheel drive, and a helicopter......for you younger guys, this is the hunt you should do while you can. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
The Teddy that wrote this book was Teddy Jr, the President's son, not the President Teddy Roosevelt. So, the Kermit that also wrote parts of the book, was the author's brother and the son of the President.

BTW, it is a fantastic book and has been mentioned here a few threads. Big Grin

I just read a passage,and you are correct!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BILLINTHEWILD:
As long as there are books, and quiet times to read them, there is always a way to live the life you dream of. I too have slowed down in the last years. I know that my trips to Africa will be via the written page. I believe that one day I will join the big round table and be able to talk with TR, and some of the others that I have looked up to.
Maybe that a vain hope. but I will at least be part of the dust that blows into the rifles of those who;s foot steps have not been made yet...
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeSharpe:
BILLINTHEWILD:
As long as there are books, and quiet times to read them, there is always a way to live the life you dream of. I too have slowed down in the last years. I know that my trips to Africa will be via the written page. I believe that one day I will join the big round table and be able to talk with TR, and some of the others that I have looked up to.
Maybe that a vain hope. but I will at least be part of the dust that blows into the rifles of those who;s foot steps have not been made yet...
Judge Sharpe

Well said, amigo. And my best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I also thought is was a great read< I was always amazed about how they arranged their schedules to have a year for the trip! I feel great when I arrange 2 weeks!!!!!

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

go with someone as an "observer" for about $175-250 per day on a short hunt. You can do half days if need be, and still smell the smoke and see the sights. Go!

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Teddy Roosevelt Junior more than lives up to his old man's reputation. My father served with him in the Big Red One during WWII. Here's a link to short biography:

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt,_Jr]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt,_Jr

For some reason, when I google Teddy Roosevelt Junior, I get as one of the links the one above and there is a great little biography of Teddy Junior. But when I post the link here it doesn't work. Anybody know why?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I think everyone should know that both Theodore Roosevelts, father and son, did not want to be called "Teddy." It was a name given the father by cartoonists of the day after the president refused to shoot a cub someone had captured during a bear hunt in a southern state.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote