New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bell book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just ordered a copy of the new Bell book in Safari Press' Christmas catalog. I also ordered My Life and Essence of Elephant Hunting. I read My Life in college when writing a term paper on the East African campaign.

Question. 1: Does any one already have the Bell book? If I read the catalog right this book has never been published before.

Question. 2: It was on back order which ordinarily would not bother me. However, I am a little concerned they would be sold out of the 1,000 copies before I got the catalog. Is this fear resonanly?

Posts: 10862 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my copy on order since mid July. Have not received it yet.

The description says it never before published material. I am concerned about that because the excerpt that is on their website talks about driving elephants on an island and I am sure I have a book of Bell's that has that in it.

I think that every time they come out with a new limited edition it always says that it's on back order.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is on back order. We should see it soon though. I ordered mine earlier in the year as well + the girl said no problem,just a wait.It is new material but there are some bits from "Karamojo Safari". Just to get a NEW Bell book...I paid my $$$ + never looked back.Besides Safari Press is a very reputable firm.I have bought a ton of books from them over the years;no problems. Actually 2 nights ago I reread "Horn Of The Hunter" w/ the forward by Harry Selby. I bought it when it came out in 2011 just to have a signed copy to go with my old reader.Mine is #102 of 1000. As far as I know they still have some in inventory so I would not worry about your new Bell book.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman. I meant to type reasonable. I am not as illiterate as typing on this thing makes me look. This will be the first Bell book I have purchased. Given his status as the greatest or most popular elephant hunter of all time. The hunting world knows him as the king of the small bores. I have read cited excerpts of his work in other writings, but for some reason it is important to me to hear his words through him on his philosophy. That is the great thing about books.

I will order his other two books in the catalog as well.

Posts: 10862 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By all means buy all of them. I personally liked Karamojo Safari the best.If you check out book fairs + antique shops sometimes you can find a deal.I found my 1st edition "Bell Of Africa" that way. Cost me $120.00 but worth it to me.On the other side I found a complete set of H. Rider Haggard's Allen Quartarmain stories 1st editions from the 19teens for $40.00. Now as to a related subject,most of us know that Robert Ruark was the godfather of Harry Selbys son Mark. When Bob came through London he bought Bell's 450-400 + his .275 Rigby. He gave the .275 to Mark with a silver medallion on the forestock from him to Mark.A few years ago word got out that he sold it.Now I don't know any details but for the life of me I can not imagine anything so dire as to sell that rifle.I know it had to go for a LOT of money but really.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A detailed description of the "life" of that .275 in the African Hunting Gazette and where it is now.
For me, I place virtually no value in a tool owned by a "famous" person, so ,I for one would sell it . It is a "thing" , not alive and cannot shoot itself. The importance is the person, not a tool.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
A detailed description of the "life" of that .275 in the African Hunting Gazette and where it is now.
For me, I place virtually no value in a tool owned by a "famous" person, so ,I for one would sell it . It is a "thing" , not alive and cannot shoot itself. The importance is the person, not a tool.

If it did not come from someone who cared about me or I the giver, then I agree with you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said,I do not know all the details.I would have no problem if it ended up in a museum.And I will be the 1st to admit that is none of my business,but I was curious. Now we here used to give an annual shoot + the rule was to bring the rifle that your father gave you.That is the mind set that I am coming from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth,just got shipping confermation from Safari Press on the new Bell book.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Nice, I've been waiting as well

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My copy was waiting on the porch when I got home tonight.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received copy number 15 in the mail today. Look forward to reading it.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my copy (#96) last week + finished reading it last night.No one will be disapointed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest:

Thanks for the lookout. I got Essence of Elephant in and have watched it four times. I had my wife watch the charge sections. It gave her a deeper appreciation for my Heym. Very well done.

I like the juxtaposition of the different hunting terrain in Zimbabwe. I hope the numbers are stable and the ivory ban can be lifted. However, I do believe numbers can be so decimated that sport hunting becomes counter productive and unsustainable. Does anyone know what the current estimate is?

I have long worried that Zimbabwe simply could not be trusted to report an accurate (as things can be) number.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Agree with Norman. The material is familiar but fresh. I'm enjoying it, Bell is candid and personal. Some vintage photos. The boat building episode is great fun. I'm happy

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got mine too...
Will report when I read it...

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pleased so far with my copy (#48). I just got through the car ride across the continent.

As Ludo mentioned in the foreword, some stuff is a 'rewrite' of what was mentioned in other books, but different enough still to make it enjoyable.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat: Please do one of your reviews. Mine is still not here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh,sweet anticipation. I am already looking forward to next years publishing of his autobiography.Keep aware + place your order early.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just started reading it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote