Find
Notify
Tools

Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I highly recommend this book. While being sold as a book written by a German, Guy Sajer hardly spoke German when he went into the Wehrmacht, since he was French, from Alsace. It is very well written, very well translated (I read the English language version).

https://www.amazon.com/Forgott...-Sajer/dp/1574882864

I have never read a bood which describes so well the life of an infantryman in WWII. I once asked my father what it was like to be in the 1st Infantry Division in WWII. He had a short answer, "Everybody dies". This book elaborates on that.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks.I ordered a copy.If you have read Jeff Coopers book,"To Ride,Shoot Straight + Speak the Truth" then you will be familiar with the short tale (survivor) told him by a Waffen SS officer who escaped Gulag after the war was over + his odyssy to return back to Germany that took 2 years being alone + traveling the steppes.That one story is worth the cost of the book but the other ones are good as well.When my sister was in Europe she told me they had made a movie of this mans story. She did'nt remember the name but I would love to see it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote