Find
Notify
Tools

Question for book lovers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I love good books and I love good maps, in other words, I would love a good Atlas. Problem is, I can't seem to find one worth a darn, even the expensive ones. What is the "best" Atlas? Is there a good Atlas of Africa?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I love good books and I love good maps, in other words, I would love a good Atlas. Problem is, I can't seem to find one worth a darn, even the expensive ones. What is the "best" Atlas? Is there a good Atlas of Africa?

I don't have an answer to your question. But as an avid book collector I routinely come across atlases and as the price is usually low I buy them. I am always amazed and disappointed to see the disparity of coverage between the third world and the super powers.

Pretty disgusting really.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Some interesting sites: Thinkquest and Wikimaps

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
So far my research has forced me to conclude that the "The Times" atlas is the best. The cost goes with it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The best Atlas was my pal Charles. But he is long gone.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
The best Atlas was my pal Charles. But he is long gone.

Personally I prefer Teddy to Charles.

Jason

-Jason Brown