Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Corbett
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

Some of his books can be read/downloaded here..

http://archive.org/search.php?...%22Corbett%2C+Jim%22

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have all of his books in first editions!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have all of his books in first editions!

I'm getting there...I love to collect first editions...it literally makes me go back in time and think "the first time this book was opened, these events were very fresh" I dig that...

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
He's by far my favorite hunting author! So much so that when I went to India, I went out of my way to visit Naini Tal and his winter home in Kaladhungi, as well as Corbett National Park.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I remember being in school and meeting a girl from India and I asked her if she knew the name Corbett and she certainly did...wasn't an anti-colonialist bone in her body, just knew a hell a lot about Corbett and his adventures...neat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only a grand hunter + writer but a conscience member of his society willing to take great risks for his neighbors.During WW2 he helped train the British forces in jungle survival against the japs. He would periodically stop + drink a hand full of tepid water from pools of scum covered water.He claimed it kept up his immune system.When the present Queen Elizabeth was just a princess + inspecting the colonies,she slept in a tree house + he sat guard all night at the base of the tree.During the night a death in London made her queen. He made the statement "She ascended the tree a princess + came down a queen."What a shame to be run out of his country in 47 due to the independence movement.

Posts: 4297 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think he got run out of India. In fact they named a park after him and gave him "Freedom of the Forest"(or something of similar title). As I understand it, a pass to hunt anything, any time, anywhere.

A scary good hunter even if he made a few remarkably dumb mistakes in his youth. An honest man and a fine writer and an important positive influence on my life to boot.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say he was run out in the sense that to stay would be courting disaster for him + his sister.Not all the revisionists were as peacefully motivated as Ghandi in the anti colonialism campaign. There were quite a few murders of the
English in that period.And yes they did give him acclaim (long after the fact)but that was after the fires of new ownership had burned down.

Posts: 4297 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Norman, had not heard the anecdote about Elizabeth. Thanks for that.
Corbett makes a very fine and very real hero.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16504 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,thanks for your kind words.Jim is obviously an icon to me as well.Looking into his gentle eyes could one assume a killer of anything?Wrong assumption concerning some Brits.Enjoy the real thing.If you want sensationalism + not truth try Kenneth Anderson's "Black Panther of Swananapilli".Good reading + he claims it as truth.Only my opinion.Good bee story though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
He's by far my favorite hunting author! So much so that when I went to India, I went out of my way to visit Naini Tal and his winter home in Kaladhungi, as well as Corbett National Park.

I'm going there in February 2014!!!! Wow! Naini Tal, Kaladhungi, Corbett National Park and Rudraprayag - a dream will become reality, at last…

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iirc, Elmer Keith once owned his double. Also, iirc, it now lives here in town...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the same vein,a little over a half century ago Robert Ruarck on his way to Africa stopped in London + bought W.D.M. Bell's .275 Rigby + gave it to his Godson Mark Selby (Harry's son). Article a few years back in the American Rifleman was that Mark had sold the rifle.I am almost speechless about this lack of value + protocol;I say almost because I don't know any details;however I will say that if one of my sons pulled a stunt like that...disappointed is a very minor term to describe my displeasure.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote