Notify
Tools

Signed Pondoro book
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
Hi all,
I've found a 1st ed. copy of Pondoro:Last of the Ivory Hunters for sale in the UK signed by Taylor.
Does the signature look right? How many signed or inscribed books of his have you all come across?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Anyone?
I went ahead and ordered the book--seller said in his 20 years of collecting it is the first signed Taylor book he's come across. I did locate two letters from Taylor to Maitland (Trophyroom books), but otherwise have come up with nothing.
Thanks all,
Bill

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Congrats on a great find. I found a pic in an old magazine article that has a
signature from John Taylor. You can enlarge it, but then it loses its detail. Not
sure if this helps or not, I will try to leave a link to the article below.

Jungleboy

http://www.huntinglegends.com/...e-of-pondoro-taylor/

P.S. My favorite bird to hunt here in Wyoming with my GSP's is the Sharptail
Grouse.

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Jungleboy,
Thanks for the reply and the link to the great article.
Based on my correspondence with the seller and the caliber of his offerings, I'm 100% comfortable with the authenticity and was pretty excited to come across this copy. The book itself is very good--at the end of the day I don't see myself ever having more 1st editions than reader copies, but am thrilled to have a little something unique like this.
If I uncover something more I'll gladly share.
Bill

(I spend all bird hunting season trying to retrain my Setters from squirrel to Ruffed Grouse and quail. Sadly not too many of either in my part of VA. Have had some fun chasing Huns and Sharptails in the Dakotas)

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever even heard of a JT signed copy before and would imagine it's very rare....... you must be delighted with such a find.

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
I was hoping you would weigh in w/ your collecting experience. Yes, feel lucky to have found it!
Kind wishes,
Bill

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Is it just signed or is there an inscription of any kind? - Damn but I'd LOVE to know the history of that book!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vagrouser:
Hi all,
I've found a 1st ed. copy of Pondoro:Last of the Ivory Hunters for sale in the UK signed by Taylor.

...what an incredible find...was this through a private seller or an online book vendor such as abebooks, etc?

...would also be interested to know the demand for taylor-related memorabilia (books, letters, sporting arms, etc.)...

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about this until the font of all knowledge (Susan) reminded me but Trophy Room Books bought the Maitland collection some years ago and have been selling bits and bobs off ever since and she also reminded me that we have two signed letters on the book section of the site.

One is for US$250 and the other US$900 so they ain't cheap.

FWIW, they also comment how rare Taylor signatures etc are because he was such a recluse in his later years.