New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favourite book?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just reading in this forum about all these books and realized that it would take years to read all the books mentioned. So I was wondering of all the books you have read, whats your personal favourites and why?

I like Capstick, but want to expand into something more thats what prompted this thread.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric,

All the ones I have posted are great to read. I have read them all.

You might like to ask Roy on his personal recommendations too.

I hope you and Alan have fun.

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything by Russell Annabell

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being technically oriented, and deficient in knowledge of anatomy, I liked THE PERFECT SHOT best. And you shouldn't have much doubt in your mind as to what the appropriate firearms are for delivering these, either, after reading his discussion of the subject.

The best book on hunting may be Mellon's collection. In my opinion, he surpassed Major Maydon's book considerably, although he benefitted, of course, from advances in photography. He also did a lot on his own.

Saeed's recommendation by Brian Herne is another excellent book, in my uneducated opinion, to give a perspective on the safari business.

George Hoffman's book gives a personal touch, and left me with the feeling that I had heard about the big five and about African hunting from someone I could trust.

John "Pondoro" Taylor tells a lot of good stories about how it used to be.

There are others, but these stand out in my mind.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Randy720, Anything by Russell Annabel.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ISBN 3-490-21611-3
Rien Poortvliet. Auf der Jagd.
Anyone who enjoys shooting will rejoice in this book! No reading, all sketches/paintings but superb. My favourite by a long stretch!!

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best book I have read ever, is White hunter by J.A. Hunter. I can read et over and over. James sutherland is also great. and Richard haarland ; Hunting imperative is a realy page turner.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this book forum on AR. I'm a big book nut and Safari Press junkie.

A couple real favorites are:
Horn of the Hunter -Robert Ruark
Me & Joe - Walt Prothero
Tales of a Big Game Guide - Russell Annebel

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote