New
Find
Notify
Tools

WDM Bell
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
O.K. who also has 1st editions of "Bell of Africa",Karamojo Safari",+"Wanderings of an elephant hunter"? Any discussion? Any opinions on the use of a C96 "broomhandle" to dissuade the unwanted advances of the "damned fuzzie wuzzies".Worked for Churchill as well.Same pistol,same continent,same niggers,same result.
'

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Norman Conquest: who also has 1st editions of "Bell of Africa"

+1
Someone here on AR was supposedly about to publish a detailed, well researched biography of Bell, don't know what happened on that.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have first edition of Wonderings of an Elephant hunter.

I hope there is a bio on Bell in the works.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it appears that that there is a mutual interest in some "semi-antiquated" volumes;Thank God!Any chance of people who read books + don't watch T.V.; + would rather converse on literature, possible even get the kids involved.(CLASSICS);We do owe it to next generation.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice patina'ed 96 30 Mauser. It shoots much better than MON* My nephew and I are running cows over in Oregon. He has four girls that think they are boys (cowboys). As they turned twelve I told them if they maxxed the Hunters Ed Class I would buy them good deer/elk rifles. The third one was a big enough rifle nut to read up in my library, and ask last year for a Ruger MKII in 257 Roberts. She took it home about three weeks ago, after she read up on bullets, and had me get her 100gr Partitions loaded up. 3-9X Leupold on it.

Rich

Rich

*Minute of Native

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Good for her, and shows your a standup guy.

Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God bless you Richard. I have done the same with my children + grandchildren.Just for what it's worth.I always preferred the 98 action over the 96/et al.Only my opinion of course.While we are on my opinion (truth) I would recommend a chambering in .257 A.I. or 7x57 A.I.Either will give maximum performance for the life of the shooter.Look it up in P.O. Ackley's vol.1.They are 2 of the best bore to case cap....Look it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 signed copy of 'wanderings' . Also have an interesting .22 Mauser that Bell gave my fatheras a 12th birthday present. Fellow on the forums was all mad keen, wanded details and scans and...disapeared into thin air.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1 signed copy of 'wanderings' . Also have an interesting .22 Mauser that Bell gave my fatheras a 12th birthday present. Fellow on the forums was all mad keen, wanded details and scans and...disapeared into thin air

There's an obvious question that need answering here Ganyana...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my lad if it is not put safely away then I recommend that you do so.If you do mean to sell then by all means get a reputable dealer/seller that will give you optimum price. Do NOT feel concerned about asking anyone on this site about your values. I personally have had 99.5% honesty in dealings with the site people that I have dealt with.I DO hope that you will pursue the reading of Mr. Bell,I promise you it is worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was able to get a first ed. of Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter off of EBay.
Haven't read it yet but I like to save my books for winter reading.
Looking forward to it since ele is high on my list of target animals in the coming years.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote