New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently finished Capstick's Death in the Long Grass, and have almost finished what I want to read out of the Bell trio.

Can anyone give me some reccommendations for good safari books?

I am looking for a moderately easy read, because I have limited time to read safari books between my school books. I would like an informative book like "Death in the Long Grass."

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's lots of books that are considerably more informative than the PHC books and you could start by picking out pretty much any of the names here: http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will do a search of this forum you will find dozens of book reviews and be able to make an informed decision on your next book. If you like Capstick, there are several other authors like him out there.

Try Robert Ruark, Harry Manners, John Burger and others for some fun.

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might also consider Alexander Lake, Bell, Manners, Hunter, Hibben, Taylor and a ton of others.

If you look on the link I posted, you'll find prices often start at just a dollar or two and at the other end of the price range is one for US$225K Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaks. I did not realize there was a book forum, and did not consider the search feature. No wonder I had not seen any book reviews.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, what is your favorite safari book, for informative purposes?

I looked at a boddington book on kenya to the cape and then saw the price tag, $80,,,, WOW!!

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhromm:
Also, what is your favorite safari book, for informative purposes? I looked at a boddington book on kenya to the cape and then saw the price tag, $80,,,, WOW!!

IMO, the most informative books on African hunting are the two "African Hunter" books, the original by Jay Mellon and the updated version by Craig Boddington and Peter Flack.

The SCI record book's African volume probably is the best reference on the natural history of the continent's big game animals, where the best trophies were taken, and which outfitters produced them.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote