Find
Notify
Tools

Kindles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Folks - it pains me to say it but I am looking at a Kindle purchase.

Previously on this forum I posted "Call me old fashioned but I cant see myself reading a book on a Kindle or similar." , but now I am about to undertake a family vacation to the US of A and a Kindle is looking like a usefull investment to fill in those flying hours.

So , my query is : is the Kindle Touch with wi-fi and 3G the best way to go or is there a better model? I really dont know what is best , so advice please.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with a Kindle Fire. Color 7 inch screen and about the size of a paperback book. Can also get on the Web with it.

Several web sites provide comparisons of the models. If you haven't already, try a search and look at the specs and user reviews. I did this before I got the Fire.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have both a Kindle and a Kindle Fire. Honestly, if all you are planning to use it for is reading, I would go with the Kindle. To me the screen is easier to read on with less glare, it is a bigger screen than the Fire, weighs less and the battery will last for days and days. The Fire is nice if you also want to use it for email, web browsing, and the like. But just to read, the basic Kindle gets my vote. I just finished a book on mine and started another . . . on the Kindle that is, not the Fire.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
So , carrying on from the purchase of the device , where do I find a list of books available for the Kindle. Obviously Amazon.com but there must be other places as well.

Anyone got any recommendations to fill in a flight from New Zealand to San Francisco , all 12 fun-filled hours of it .Plus return of course....

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get an Ipad. Load Kindle books on it, the app is free. Put on a few movies...

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Dave - the cost of an I-Pad just to use as a kindle makes it far too dear for me. So the kindle looks more promising.

Which version do folk recomend - the Touch 3G , non-special-offer one or the basic wi-fi special offer version?

I know I can buy this cheaper in the US on my forthcoming trip , but the 16 hour flight to get there will drive me crazy with some distraction , and beating your kid in public is apparently not pc any more so reading looks like the best option.....